amigo421
Paper Tape
Views: 159
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo G580 some upgrades

Hello

I've performed some upgrades but need a little more Smiley Happy

1. so I'm currently using IPS display LP156WHA-SLL1 

it works fine but this has the same resolution , and I'd like a higher .

do you know any other display matrix for that? 

2. also upgraded from Intel Celeron to i5 3210M but also would like more, is it possible to upgrade to i7 or even to upper models in i5 series?

3. Added RAM two ones: 4Gb + 8Gb but would like to upgrade to 32Gb, is it possible to use more than 8Gb in a single slot? 

4. I'm working under linux mint and default wireless modul doesn't work fine, only wifi works well, but bluetooth does not. 

could you recommend me another wireless modules tested with our laptop?

5. I heard something about a keyboard with backlight but didn't see this. Is it really exist or not? 

P.S. I don't use CD drive and prefer to make a laptop lighter , does there exist a stub for this slot? 

thank you

SeniorGuru
Views: 127
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo G580 some upgrades

Most of the time you would need to download the Maintenance Manual and look thru the parts list near the back to find what will work and is supported by your notebook computer.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g480_g485_g580_g585_g780_hmm_v1.0_english.pd...

This is the link to the manual, look down the bookmarks to find the parts list and browse thru for items supported.

PS - for the WiFi with BT, I would go with an Intel based chip-set, they are easily the most Linux friendly out there. As a fall back, ping the Linux Mint community with your options from the parts list and ask them which WiFi +BT works best.

Good luck.

PS - as far as backlit keyboard, there are non that work with this notebook, nor does it support 32gb of main memory.  The unit takes DDR3-1600 memory in 2gb or 4gb modules with 2 slots available.  If you use 8gb or 16gb sticks the notebook may fail to boot, and will show a warning screen instead.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
amigo421
Paper Tape
Views: 107
Message 3 of 5

thank you!

however I see only broadcomm cards with bluetooth are there , and still no solutions under linux.

So I suppose I have to use unauthorized cards and with unlocking BIOS whitelist ((

SeniorGuru
Views: 99
Message 4 of 5

I have used Broadcom Wifi and BT cards with Ubuntu, so Mint should work.... Have you bounced it off the Mint forum / support group?

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
amigo421
Paper Tape
Views: 93
Message 5 of 5

wifi part of the card works fine, and bluetooth is also detected:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 105b:e065 Foxconn International, Inc. BCM43142A0 Bluetooth module

however it can't pair with any device. just infinitly search for the devices (of course, I'm providing some devices, different ones, in pair mode).

I didn't see similar sitation described on mint forums , but I 'll ask there

Top Kudoed Authors