cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Akronix
Blue Screen Again
Views: 498
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo G580 won't start. Disk controller issue?

Hi.

I've got a Lenovo G580, now five years old. Last week, I pressed the turn-on button and it kept eternally blocked at the logo screen.

After some research, I removed out the SSD Disk and I can succesfully boot from an external USB bootable linux live.

Furthermore, I can boot the SSD drive If I connect it from an external USB disk reader.

It looks like there's a problem somewhere in the hardware that connects the disk with the computer. How can I diagnose where exactly the problem is? The bootable linux live said something about the ATA3 unit (see screeshot attached), so here there might be a clue.

Once I've found where does the problem come from, how can I fix it?

Thank you in advance.

SeniorGuru
Views: 461
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo G580 won't start. Disk controller issue?

Have you tried to boot from a different HDD, or SSD that is known good? Booting from USB bypasses the HDD controller so using it to troubleshoot can lead to incorrect options.

If you can try to boot from a HDD that has Linux on it, or a good version of Windows 10 and it works just fine we need to look into the BIOS settings to see what AHCI and UEFI settings may have been changed which could cause the SSD not to respond.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Akronix
Blue Screen Again
Views: 437
Message 3 of 4

I got some news.

The optical disk drive isn't recognized by the computer either. It isn't displayed in the BIOS neither in Ubuntu Linux (Ubuntu loaded externally from the SSD by an usb disk reader).

I have tried with another HDD which I had with a corrupted operating system. It isn't displayed for the boot order selection, but connected to an external reader it launches, tough It has troubles launching the OS since it was corrupted previously. I'm wiping this HDD and installing it a new OS to try if it indeed works fine, but I'm pretty confident it will.

I want to remark that the SSD works fine when it's inserted and loaded from an external disk reader connected by usb to the computer.

All of this lead me to think that the issue isn't the disk and, instead, it's related to something to do with some component in the motherboard.

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 419
Message 4 of 4

The next logical question is the notebook still under warranty?

If yes, then it is time to contact support via phone and have a ticket opened to start the warranty repair of the system (may need a controller).

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors