Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvasli
Blue Screen Again
Views: 537
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo G700 RAM upgrade problems

Hello,

I wanted to upgrade my laptop from 8 GB RAM (2*4 GB) to 16 GB RAM (2*8 GB). My computer supports max. 16GB RAM. My computer datils befor the upgrade (I can add adittional inforamtion if needed):

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
     CPU: Intel Core i5 3230M @ 2.60GHz 62 °C, Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
     RAM: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard: LENOVO G700 (U3E1)

I bought 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 SODIMM 1.35 V (CT102454BF1505.M16FED) cruical units.

When replacing them I get only a black screen, no windows or BIOS or anything. I tried all the variations and found out, that if I use one old 4GB unit and one new 8 GB unit it works and I get 12GB ram, details:

MemoryType: DDR3
     Size: 12288 MBytes
     Channels # Dual
     DRAM Frequency: 798.7 MHz
     CAS# Latency (CL) 11 clocks
     RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 11 clocks
     RAS# Precharge (tRP) 11 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 28 clocks
    Command Rate (CR) 1T

I looke up everything, tried updating BIOS, cheked the settings and now in the dark, I can't fine the solution. A weird thing that occured is before it said (2*4GB):

Total memory slots 2
Used memory slots 2

Now it says (4GB+8GB) - I have only 2 memory slots:

Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 2

Does anyone have an Idea wha's going on?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 524
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo G700 RAM upgrade problems

Hey there, bvasli! 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum! 

As we were checking here, the Lenovo G700 can hold up to 16GB RAM - DDR3L-1600 and you can check the tested RAM memory from the hardware maintenance manual https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g700g710_hmm.pdf?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 (go to page 71, check number 8). There is a possibility that the new RAM (8GB DDR3 1600 SODIMM 1.35 V (CT102454BF1505.M16FED) cruicial units) that you bought is not compatible with the laptop, that's why it is not working. 

Regards!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 522
Message 3 of 7

Hi bvasli!

Welcome to the community forums.

Were you able to try if the another 8GB RAM that you have worked with your old 4GB to check if it's working or defective?

Let us know.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

bvasli
Blue Screen Again
Views: 513
Message 4 of 7

I checked both new 8GB RAM separatly in combination with the old 4GB RAM and they both worked. As long as i have in one memory slot the old 4GB RAM it works (no matther what's in the other memory slot), if I remove it the new 8GB RAM dosen't work.

bvasli
Blue Screen Again
Views: 512
Message 5 of 7

I think this could be the case (even if all the "main" specification match). So far I found 1 difference between the old 4GB RAM and then new 8 GB RAM:

From the attachd PrtScr I can see that the new 8GB ram dosen't have JEDEC #1 381.00 MHz Frequency, I don't know if this is the cause

SeniorGuru
Views: 501
Message 6 of 7

Usually it is best to buy memory in "matched pairs" or as a "kit" that matches what is currently installed. This will be the best answer for performance as well as compatibility.

Pulling in two different sticks usually works, but is not always dependable.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
bvasli
Blue Screen Again
Views: 477
Message 7 of 7

Hello,

I bought a kit (2x8GB) but it dosen't work, only if I use one 8GB "new" and 4GB "old" they work together and I get 12GB RAM, two new don't work.

Sorry for the late reply.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors