Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thekingofspain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 274
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo G700 Slow Post/Boot

I have an odd problem were the G700 takes 1 to 20 minutes to post/boot.

1.  Turn the G700 on.

2.  The camera light goes on.

3.  There is some fan noise.

4.  Wait 1 to 20 minutes

5.  Windows boot sequence kicks in.

6. G700 runs as normal.

I have booted to the usb UFEI and ran 5 hours of tests without issue.  Note it took about 10 minutes for the G700 to post/boot to USB drive.

Booting to UFEi has the same issue.  Windows shutdown is fast.  No errors in the boot logs.

I did perform a software reset to optimized default in bios but that did not solve the issue.  Attempted to reflash the bios, but there is only one version of the bios available and I did not figure out how to force a reflash over the same version.  Is there a way to had reset the bios via a pin?

Any other thoughts on a resolution to this?

SeniorGuru
Views: 254
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo G700 Slow Post/Boot

This sounds like a hardware issue rather than a software issue. Try resetting the memory sticks (remove, clean contacts then re-insert) and see if that makes a change.

If that does not improve things, I would suggest looking at the S.M.A.R.T. drive output to see if there are some indicators of a failing drive.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
thekingofspain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 182
Message 3 of 5

Everything was rest already, diagnotistics all passed; that is when the usb diagnostic drive finally postrf.  Think the issue is tha chip that deals with file io is failing.  If the computer is already running, a restart is more likely to hang vs startup from a cold boot, so heat might be an contributer as well.

SeniorGuru
Views: 173
Message 4 of 5

It could well be as you say... The most odd / hard to diagnose issues can be from heat related failures, silver threads and even micro cracks in board traces.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
thekingofspain
Fanfold Paper
Views: 122
Message 5 of 5

I ordered a new laptop to replace this one but also took a gamble and purchased a replacement mother board from Hong Kong for $57 which would take 3 to 5 weeks to arrive.  The mother board arrived in only 2.5 weeks, and on the day it arrived, the new laptop broke, internal lcd crack.  Put in the new (probably used) boardand the drive posted instantly.  So the main board was the issue, kind of odd since usually laptop boards are pretty stable unlike desktop boards with their capacitor issues.  Think it was probably heat related, too much fortnite.  The CPU  & ram could take the heat, but some internal chip did not like it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors