Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moonlight
Paper Tape
Views: 429
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo G700 Wireless troubles

I've had a G700 running Windows 8.1 for a few years now. Recently I've been experiencing a problem where I'll suddenly lose wireless connection and get the troubleshooting message that "the default gateway is not avaible". It's a very frequent problem (according to my troubleshooting log it's happened over 200 times this month) and I'd really, really like to be rid of it.

I'm using a Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter. I saw some people with similar issues, and I've already changed the power setting so the computer can't turn off the driver to save power. It didn't help. I saw some suggestions to lower the adapter's "roaming aggeression" under the advanced tab, but I don't have that option (I do have "Roaming tendency" which I set to moderate but again, it didn't seem to help). The only thing I can think to do next might be to reinstall the whole driver, but I wanted to see what the nice folks here suggested.

So yeah. Lenovo G700. Broadcom 802.11n. Windows 8.1. Randomly losing wireless connection because the default network gateway is unavalible. Any suggestions?

Moonlight
Paper Tape
Views: 409
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo G700 Wireless troubles

If any further information is required I am poised to provide it. If this is the wrong place to ask this question then just point me in the right direction. I'm not an amazingly tech-savy person so forgive me if I come across obtuse.

SeniorGuru
Views: 397
Message 3 of 6

It does sound like an issue with the hardware may be starting to show up... If you have been using your notebook for a few years, with WiFi as the primary connection it may be due to the age of the component (WiFi Card) or a loose connection on the antenna lead that is causing this issue.

If you are comfortable with using a screwdriver (know the difference between phillips and standard for instance) and are able to work with small 1/8" sized screws it should not be that difficult. 

Steps to consider:

1. Download your maintenace manual from the support tab of this site
  2. Read up on how to change out WiFi card
  3. Use cups to contain screws removed, label them for ID
  4. Take pictures of each step, allows for putting things back in the right spot
  5. Have a magnification device handy, it can help identify screws and connectors

Above all else, make sure you are not carring static electricity when you touch the inner workings of your notebook.  Electro Static Discharge (ESD) kills more electronics than you would belive possible.  Equalizing your electrical potential with the electronics you are working on prevents ESD damage.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Moonlight
Paper Tape
Views: 391
Message 4 of 6

One thing I should mention is that my family and I recently upgraded our Internet service (we're with Bell Canada) and got a new router, and it's only been since then that these issues have started appearing. While I suppose it could be a hardware malfunction of some sort, the timing of them appearing the same day we got a new wireless router makes me think otherwise. But I've already looked over the router and all its settings and couldn't find anything wrong on its end. As well, only this device experiences troubles – none of the other Internet enabled devices have had any difficulty with the new router, which leads me to believe the errors are something in the settings or driver of this device specifically...

But it could also just be a hardware error with impeccable timing. I really don't know.

SeniorGuru
Views: 375
Message 5 of 6

@Moonlight wrote:

One thing I should mention is that my family and I recently upgraded our Internet service (we're with Bell Canada) and got a new router, and it's only been since then that these issues have started appearing. While I suppose it could be a hardware malfunction of some sort, the timing of them appearing the same day we got a new wireless router makes me think otherwise. But I've already looked over the router and all its settings and couldn't find anything wrong on its end. As well, only this device experiences troubles – none of the other Internet enabled devices have had any difficulty with the new router, which leads me to believe the errors are something in the settings or driver of this device specifically...

But it could also just be a hardware error with impeccable timing. I really don't know.

To make sure it is just the router causing trouble, try using your notebook at a public WiFi hotspot (Coffee Shop, Library etc..) and see if the problem exists there as well.  If only when using your home WiFi then it may be a compatibility issue with the router / WiFi card. 

You can also check to see if the Router has settings for WEP / WPA and WiFi that conflict with your card's capability.  IE - Check to make sure your WPA settings match, that it is using 802.11n on both, and your notebook MAC address is not on the "blocked" list.

You can also google your router for known issues / compatiblity problems with Broadcom / Atheros cards. 

As a last resort, you can purchase a new WiFi card from the list of parts in your Maintenance Manual, go with the Intel part.

Good Luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Moonlight
Paper Tape
Views: 357
Message 6 of 6

Just wanted to follow up here. After more effort it definitely seemed like it was the Wi-Fi card, either just failing due to age or not jiving with the new router. Eventually what I did was purchase a USB Wireless adapter for about 20 dollars. Plugs into a USB port and I haven't seen the error in a few days now so things seem to have improved. So thanks to everyone for your advice, and hopefully this can help anyone else who experiences a similar problem in the future.

Peace, Moonlight <3

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale