Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smyr1
Paper Tape
Views: 144
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo G700 starts from power off after one hour

Hi,

My G700 is three years old, on W8, no problem until now.

When I put it in sleep mode, it starts back immediately when I press a key or raise the cover.

But if I put it in full power off, it goes off but then, I have to wait between one up to three hours recently, to get Windows start screen. I mean the power starts, fan starts, disk Led is on (battery Led too), but nothing else, the screen is off (so black).

The case is not as other "black screen" cases, where the screen stays black whatever they do. In my case also I can do nothing to get Lenovo logo at power on, I cant enter Bios setup. I tried also to remove battery, power cord and press Power button to discharge condensators, then connect power cord, nothing but the fan and disk runing and disk led on.

I just can wait one hour or more.

The only explanation I can see, is one month ago, the first time it happened, I was using Avast free antivirus, and Avast did a new update. So I was thinking after this update, that Avast starts a long full scan at power on, so I removed Avast and activated Windows Defender. No problem when I used just sleep mode and wake up. But same problem when I put the comp in full power off.

Maybe Windows Defender starts also a full scan at that time?

Now I use only sleep mode ; yesterday I travelled for 10 hours, and the comp started immediately when I pressed a key!

I will be pleased to have any advice from you.

SeniorGuru
Views: 120
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo G700 starts from power off after one hour

Sometimes it can be related to disk scanning at start up, either by anti-malware software or even windows OS (chkdsk.exe) if it has been scheduled to run due to a compromised sector or SMART error on the hard disk drive.

You can run tests on the hard disk using manufacture software or Lenovo tools to see if there are hardware faults, also you can run a system file check by opening up the command prompt window then running SFC /SCANNOW to have any corrupted system files repaired / replaced.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Highlighted
smyr1
Paper Tape
Views: 116
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for answer,

I will do sfc scan after last use of comp today and keep you informed.

What I read about automatic chkdsk, is that there is a message on screen before the check starts, this is not my case because the display is off.

I checked in registry, that the value for the BootExecute key is autocheck autochk *, do I have to change it and stops the check for ever?

Wait and see

smyr1
Paper Tape
Views: 90
Message 4 of 8

Here is what I tried :

- While my comp was runing, I started sfc /scannow  that last some minutes, ending with a message "there was some files erreor, some are repaired, some are not repaired"!!!

- Then I started a chkdsk, and I got the message saying it is not possible to run chkdsk until I logoff, and asked me if I want to run it at next power on, and I agreed

- so I restarted my comp and... black screen for about 7 hours

- then looking from time to time the screen I noticed that the Lenovo logo was displayed with a message under saying there was a scanning and repair operation on the disk, and 14% progress value that stays constant for a long time, until I noticed that the screen was off again

- the screen is off since 2 hours now.

I presume that after the chkdsk, the comp restarted with the same black screen problem, so I have to wait one more hour!

Wait and see

smyr1
Paper Tape
Views: 76
Message 5 of 8

followed..

the chkdsk finished 7 hours later!

Here are the indications of chkdsk report

Step 1: Examining the basic file system structure ... Cleaning the instance tags for the 0xc54c file. 532992 processed file records. The file verification is complete. 9323 large file records processed. 0 incorrect file records processed.
  Step 2: Examining the binding of filenames ... 647094 index entries processed. The index check is complete. 0 un-indexed files analyzed. 0 non-indexed files recovered.
  Step 3: Review Security Descriptors ... Cleaning up 2431 unused index entries from the $ SII index of file 0x9. Cleaning up 2431 unused index entries from the $ SDH index of the 0x9 file. Cleaning underway of 2431 unused security descriptors. The verification of security descriptors is complete. 57052 processed data files. CHKDSK checks USN log ... USN log check completed.
  Step 4: Finding incorrect clusters in user file data ... 532976 processed files. The verification of the file data is complete.
  Step 5: Search for invalid free clusters ... 28269758 free clusters processed.
  The free space check is complete.
  CHKDSK discovered marked free space allocated in the bitmap of the volume.
  Windows has made corrections on the file system. No further action is required.
  185453567 KB of disk space in total.
  71585252 KB in 268204 files.
  179660 KB in 57053 indexes.
  0 KB in bad sectors.
  609619 KB used by the system.
  65536 KB occupied by the log file.
  113079036 KB available on disk.
  4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  46363391 Total allocation units on disk.
  28269759 allocation units available on disk.
  Internal information: 00 22 08 00 92 f6 04 00 d0 6c 09 00 00 00 00 00. "....... l ...... f7 15 00 00 45 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .... E ........... Windows has finished checking your drive.

After sending this post, I'll do a restart...?

smyr1
Paper Tape
Views: 48
Message 6 of 8

Worst and worst. It seems that each time I restart the comp, the black screen duration increase! At the begining, it was around 1 hour, then 3 hours, now it is one day long!

I checked the event viewer at the period before my last post, you will see that when the event time was at 14:04:45, the next event is at 22:36:42 (eight hours later) and indicating :

The EventSystem subsystem will filter duplicate event log entries for 86400 seconds (=24 hours). The timeout of this function is set by using the REG_DWORD value registered as SuppressDuplicateDuration in the following registry key: HKLM \ Software \ Microsoft \ EventSystem \ EventLog.

I wonder what happened between these two events.

I also wonder this event :

22:36:44 id 0 igfxCUIService 1.0.0.0
The description of event ID 0 in the source igfxCUIService1.0.0.0 was not found.

I attached a file with list of events

Now I'm tired of waiting days between each tests, so I change my tests by using a different HDD, containing W7 ; same problem of black screen for some hours. I succeed to change boot mode to legacy, waiting now that I could boot on a DVD or on a USB stick with W8 in it.

I presume now the problem is not in Windows 8 or 7, but in the motherboard. I changed the CMOS battery and wait next start!

smyr1
Paper Tape
Views: 32
Message 7 of 8

More worst ; now the comp doesn't stay running, even pressing power on or novo button.

I hear that the disk starts, webcam led and power led flash for one second, then the disk stops, and this sequence sarts again five seconds later, but the fan doens't start, except if I remove the memory sticks!

If I disconnect the power supply, so using ony battery, the webcam and front leds flash once only.

I checked the power supply voltage is between 20.4 V in iddle state and 20.3V when the disk starts.

I presume some component  died slowly in the mother board.

So I give up!

SeniorGuru
Views: 24
Message 8 of 8

If it acts up when the AC adapter is plugged in it may be linked to the AC / DC supplied to the board, or the power in connector on the system board as well.

Can you try a known good AC adapter to see if that makes a difference?

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors