Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chaz206
Paper Tape
Views: 403
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo G710 - Windows 8 upgrade problem

Hey all, basically ive got a lenovo laptop from pc world and trying to do this windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade than i can do the windows 10 free upgrade before july

Ive got a normal version of windows 8 but cant find the upgrade in the store, after some looking around and research it looks like ive got the volume version of windows (how i have no idea) so i cant download or upgrade to windown 8.1 without going through the licensing bit

Basically i need help lol

how can i do what i want with what ive got please

thanks in advance

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 392
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo G710 - Windows 8 upgrade problem

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

If your machine is license to run Windows 8 then it is licensed to do the 8.1 upgrade as well.  Prior to doing the Windows 8.1 upgrade make sure your current version of Windows is up to date.  Please review the Microsoft link below and especially review the "Note" on that page.  That article also offers some trouble-shooting tips when the upgrade doesn't appear in the Windows Store.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/install-latest-update-windows-8-1

If Windows 8 is up to date, have you tried to manually install the Windows 8.1 upgrade.  If not here are the links....

Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 (x64 bit)

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

chaz206
Paper Tape
Views: 365
Message 3 of 4

thanks for the welcome mate

All the links youve sent are saying update for windows 8.1 not the upgrade TO windows 8,1 from what ive got (w8)

As i couldnt find the upgrade for 8.1 in the store i did some more research and found that my windows version is a licensing version which states you cant uograde the normal way

my laptop is licensed for windows as i bought it from pc world / currys and it does say activated under system properties

BUT it does say its running out on 29/7/16 for some reason, isnt it for life?

a bit confused about the whole thing here guys

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 356
Message 4 of 4

"All the links youve sent are saying update for windows 8.1 not the upgrade TO windows 8,1 from what ive got (w8)"

You are correct, my error.  After reviewing the links again I see that they are for just an update of version 8.1.  My apologies. OS installs isn't one of my strong points.

"As i couldnt find the upgrade for 8.1 in the store i did some more research and found that my windows version is a licensing version which states you cant uograde the normal way"

I did a little search on Lenovo's website.  I came across an article below that explains the Windows 8.1 upgrade on a Lenovo system.  It can be done.  Please check out the section that pertains to the upgrade not being offered in the Windows Store.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8-and-8-1-Knowledge-Base/Windows-8-1-Update-consideration-resou...

"BUT it does say its running out on 29/7/16 for some reason, isnt it for life?"

No version of Windows is supported by Microsoft for life.  The 2016 date expiration date is for folks that need to do the Windows 8.1 upgrade.  After that date Microsoft will no longer offer updates for Window 8.0.   After your system is upgraded to Windows 8.1 Microsoft will still continue to provide Mainstream (tech) support till January 2018 and Security Updates till January 2023. 

For more information on Windows End of Life Cycle please visit this link.....

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors