Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrFlynn
Paper Tape
Views: 156
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo G770 SSD Upgrade OCZ Vertex 3

Good evening,

I have a Lenovo G770 and i wanted to upgrade the HDD to a SSD. I have an OCZ Vertex 3 left from my PC so I installed it in my G770.

When I reinstall Win10 now, Ive the disk 100 percent usage problem and I cant solve it.

Im an IT Technician and Ive tried so much, I spent hours with it and now Im asking myself, if the SSD is incompatible? Is there something like a qualified vendor list for SSDs? 

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 129
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo G770 SSD Upgrade OCZ Vertex 3

Hi MrFlynn!

Welcome to the Community Forums. 

Getting 100 percent disk usage could be because of a lot of factors. One is Windows Search. Try to temporarily disable it and find out if it’s the cause of your 100% disk utilization problem. 

To do that, press Windows logo + X at the same time then select Command Prompt or PowerShell with admin access. Type net.exe stop "Windows search" then hit Enter

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

MrFlynn
Paper Tape
Views: 116
Message 3 of 11

Hey Mac_Lenovo,

thanks Smiley Happy 

Unfortunately I've tried so much:

Disable Windows Search 

Disable Superfetch 

Update all drivers 

SSD check with the result: ssd is healthy 

Reset virtual memory 

Change the Skype and Google Chrome settings / I just deinstalled both 

Fix the StorAHCI.sys driver

I reinstalled win10 with a DVD and a USB stick 

In the end I had the problem, that the disk usage was just at 100 percent, if I installed something, so when the disk had to write.

I installed win10 on the old Hdd und there was no problem (except that it was slow cause of the 5400rpm hdd).

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 112
Message 4 of 11

Hi! Check if you can update the firmware of your SSD. If the issue persists or there's no firmware update available, run the Secure Erase application of the SSD then clean install the OS.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

MrFlynn
Paper Tape
Views: 92
Message 5 of 11

Hey Bobby_Lenovo,

There was an Firmware update Smiley Surprised But unfortunately it didnt solve the problem. So I secure erased the SSD with the OCZ Tool and reinstalled Win10. But the problem still exists.

I found another solution, to change the driver file depending on the hardware ID...didnt work.

Another way: to change the power options to "high performance"....didnt work.

Im becoming desperate...

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 88
Message 6 of 11

Hi MrFlynn,

Thanks for getting back to us. Could you send us a photo of the Task Manager so we can take a closer look on the usage? We'll wait for your response.

Regards!

MrFlynn
Paper Tape
Views: 83
Message 7 of 11

Yeah of course. Screenshot 1: after I installed the nextcloud-Client I synced my data with the nextcloud-Server and randomly while syncing that happened.

Screenshot 2: While the Office Setup the disk randomly had some 100 percent peaks.

100diskusage1.jpg100diskusage2.jpg

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 78
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for sending those photos. We'd like to see what software/applications that consumes the most of the storage. Could you try to sort the usage from the highest to the lowest? Thank you! We'll wait for your reply. 

Regards! 

MrFlynn
Paper Tape
Views: 37
Message 9 of 11

I've monitored the disk usage a little bit and while it has the 100 percent usage, all the processes in the task manager slowly go down to 0 MB/s. Like there is no process using the disk...the disk just hangs for (on average) half a minute, then suddenly the average response time shows a very high millisecond-number and then the disk works again until it hangs the next time.

And I can say, that this time between two hang ups gets shorter everytime. For example while installing Visual Studio the disk worked for about 1 minute and hung about 20 seconds. Then it worked for about 40 seconds and hung about 20 seconds again. Worked for about 20 secs and so on. In the end the disk worked for 1 second and hung for 20 seconds.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 33
Message 10 of 11

Hey there! 

Another help here. As we were checking here, this could be a software related problem between the Windows 10 OS and the laptop. Based on the Lenovo devices tested for Windows 10 version 1809 https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht507291?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 the Lenovo G770 is not included in the list that will work with the Windows 10 OS environment. There is a possibility that the you will encounter this kind of problem as the laptop is not yet been tested with the Windows 10 OS even if you have a new SSD installed. We recommend installing the original Windows OS that comes with the laptop and check if the problem will re-occur. 

Regards!

Top Kudoed Authors