Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nestharus
Paper Tape
Views: 1,215
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo G780 Slow Wifi + Connectivity Loss

So, I bought a lenovo G780 59359250 metal Intel Core i7 3632QM(2.20GHz) 17.3" Notebook and the wifi on it caps out at 1.5 megabytes per second on a 15+ megabyte connection. I literally had my old HP next to this laptop and this laptop going at the same time. The hp was clocking in at 12 megabytes and this one was doing 1.4 megabytes.

Furthermore, when I download a bit, the wireless bars start to drop and I eventually lose the connection.

As these issues are only on the Lenovo and not the HP, the issue is not with the network, but rather with the Lenovo itself.

I've come to three possible conclusions

1. Windows 8 is doing this (unlikely, otherwise there would be rage everywhere)

2. Windows 8 doesn't play nicely with the wireless card (possible)

3. Wireless card is poor (very possible)

I was wondering what other people thought. I'm thinking about getting an AC1200 wireless adapter for this laptop. Will this possibly remedy the situation?

Thanks

I really need the speed. 1.5 megabytes + connection drops are killing me >.<.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,163
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo G780 Slow Wifi + Connectivity Loss

hi nestharus,

Welcome to the Forums.

If you have the Atheros AR9485 Wireless Adapter, can you try this driver:

Drivers for Atheros AR9485 and Windows 8

Version: 10.0.0.234

File: win8-10.0.0.234-whql.zip

Alternativey, does the issue happens also if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking? (if you get a stable good download then it's possible that a security software is interferring with the wireless connection).

Edit:

Using the Dink Wireless AC1200 Dual Band USB Adapter will definitely improve the performance (you may need to set it to 2.4Ghz if you only have a single band router)

regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

nestharus
Paper Tape
Views: 1,148
Message 3 of 8

Yea, I already got that driver. I also tested on a Toshiba with Windows 8 and it had the same exact problem as the Lenovo. All problems are pointing to Windows 8, either that or both have bad drivers =o.

I suppose I can try the USB =)

Thank you for the reply

nestharus
Paper Tape
Views: 1,107
Message 4 of 8

So, I got that wireless adapter and it's still down at 2.5 megabytes per second, but the constant drops are no longer happening. The HP is still going with its wireless card at 11-17 megabytes per second.

It sounds like Windows 8 ^^

Former Employee
Views: 1,093
Message 5 of 8

Hi nestharus,

thanks for posting. What you suspected is absolutely correct, this has to do with the Win8 compatibility drivers as compared to the hardware. What I would suggest at this point is to uninstall the current drivers you have at the moment and install the drivers from the below link.

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=60&system=7

Hope this helps and please do post back your results.

Regards
nestharus
Paper Tape
Views: 1,086
Message 6 of 8

On day one of getting the laptop, I had used SlimDrivers to update and then tried to look for a later version as I was having issues, but it looks like I never extracted the latest to the Driver folder in the Qualcomm directory.

I'll let you know tomorrow what the results are, but I'm a little pessimistic that it'll work given that the Edimax wireless adapter isn't working either :\

nestharus
Paper Tape
Views: 1,069
Message 7 of 8

Tested with new driver. Ping went from 121 ms to 61 ms and it went up to 2.5 megabytes/sec from 1.7, but the connection still gets 11-17 on an older laptop, and the speed shows as 54 mbps.

[b]edit[/b]

Actual speed of the wireless is 300 mbps, and the wireless thing I got (ran a test afterwards) clocked at 11 megs down, which is the correct speed.

I'm guessing that the wireless card is just garbage =p.

Former Employee
Views: 1,025
Message 8 of 8

Hi nestharus,

From what you've posted here, seems a bit peculiar on how it seems to react. Though I do agree with that there is a possibility that it could be a H/W issue. I was just wondering if you have contacted our service team? I would suggest you contact them and get your machine checked. As it new Warranty should be able able to cover the repair.

Do let me know how it goes.

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors