2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo G780 no boot, no BIOS, no Keyboard

2015-10-12, 9:29 AM

Hi,

I have a G780 which will not boot correctly. Here is a summary of symptoms:

Hitting power on causes CPU fan to start but this stops after a few seconds. The HDD also spins up but uncertain if it remains on. During this the screen remains off, I say off instead of black becauses I can't even see a flicker of life in the screen. Also the keyboard has no lights and there are no BIOS like beeps when powering on. The white lights at the front are on and blinking.

I've tried the usual removal of battery, holding power button and trying from AC without batter. The OKR button does not work - at all. It will turn the laptop on but I only get the same situation as when powering on normally.

I've tried a new HDD but the same issues persist.

I've tried swapping the RAM slots around - interesting there are some combinations where the above symptoms happen - that is CPU fan powers on then goes off. Other configurations cause the machine to constantly restart, but I'm not convinced it's a RAM issue.

Please help me track down the issue if you can!

Regards,

Chris

Options

14 Posts

10-12-2015

Liverpool

8 Signins

185 Page Views

• Views: 185
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo G780 no boot, no BIOS, no Keyboard

2015-10-12, 12:42 PM

Hi Mate 

As i guess you might have a faulty GPU which is probably integrated into the motherboard, thats what it sounds like to me...

Regards

Options

2 Posts

10-12-2015

United Kingdom

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 4

2015-10-12, 12:57 PM

How easy is it to replace the motherboard on these models? And do you have any concept of cost? The laptop is out of warranty.

Options

39 Posts

06-13-2017

US

92 Signins

776 Page Views

• Views: 776
  • Message 4 of 4

2019-06-06, 18:04 PM

I have the same problem as Miller. This is occurring with a new motherboard installed. Troubleshooting various things I noted that if I change RAM the laptop starts, one and only one time. Shutting down the restart is unsuccessful. Again, take out the RAM and put a fresh pair of 4's (PC3-12800) the system will start. Or if I put in one 8 stick the system starts, one time only. This was the problem I had with the motherboard I took out then this replacement is doing the same thing. It makes three or 4 attempts to start then shuts down. 

Has anyone seen anything like this or maybe a suggestion as how to fix this? What's going on????

Mack
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete