Did you mean: 
Miller147
Paper Tape
Views: 546
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo G780 no boot, no BIOS, no Keyboard

Hi,

I have a G780 which will not boot correctly. Here is a summary of symptoms:

Hitting power on causes CPU fan to start but this stops after a few seconds. The HDD also spins up but uncertain if it remains on. During this the screen remains off, I say off instead of black becauses I can't even see a flicker of life in the screen. Also the keyboard has no lights and there are no BIOS like beeps when powering on. The white lights at the front are on and blinking.

I've tried the usual removal of battery, holding power button and trying from AC without batter. The OKR button does not work - at all. It will turn the laptop on but I only get the same situation as when powering on normally.

I've tried a new HDD but the same issues persist.

I've tried swapping the RAM slots around - interesting there are some combinations where the above symptoms happen - that is CPU fan powers on then goes off. Other configurations cause the machine to constantly restart, but I'm not convinced it's a RAM issue.

Please help me track down the issue if you can!

Regards,

Chris

Stue
Fanfold Paper
Views: 530
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo G780 no boot, no BIOS, no Keyboard

Hi Mate 

As i guess you might have a faulty GPU which is probably integrated into the motherboard, thats what it sounds like to me...

Regards

Miller147
Paper Tape
Views: 526
Message 3 of 4

How easy is it to replace the motherboard on these models? And do you have any concept of cost? The laptop is out of warranty.

Mcinator
Serial Port
Views: 92
Message 4 of 4

I have the same problem as Miller. This is occurring with a new motherboard installed. Troubleshooting various things I noted that if I change RAM the laptop starts, one and only one time. Shutting down the restart is unsuccessful. Again, take out the RAM and put a fresh pair of 4's (PC3-12800) the system will start. Or if I put in one 8 stick the system starts, one time only. This was the problem I had with the motherboard I took out then this replacement is doing the same thing. It makes three or 4 attempts to start then shuts down. 

Has anyone seen anything like this or maybe a suggestion as how to fix this? What's going on????

Mack

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors