Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

03-10-2013

Parana, Entre Rios, Argentina

15 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 1 of 8

Lenovo g470 shutdown problems (in intervals of 10-12 days)

2013-03-10, 21:28 PM

Hi everyone, I'm from Argentina, so I apologize for my english.

My problem with Lenovo G470 is this: every 10, 12 days it shutdowns and can't use it for a time. I'm doing anything (listening to music, writting a text, etc) or sometimes I'm afk and just doing nothing and it happens anyway. And then, for a time it's impossible to start windows. I turn on the laptop and the Lenovo logo appears, but then just shuts down.

Maybe 4-5 hours later it starts to work ok again. Im not sure aboout this because when this happen i usually leave it there and come back the next day.

I've been reading a lot of posts in this forum about similar problems, but I couldn't find this exact same problem that I have.

Also, this happens on battery or plugged in. Is the same. Another weird thing that occurs sometimes is that when I'm using it on battery and I turn it off, the laptop shutdown, but the on/off button light doesn't turns off. I need to plug it in to solve this.

I don't know if could be related, but I replaced the W7 home basic with the ultimate version. While I had it with home basic this didn't happened, but it was a short time (2 days) so I couldn't determine if this is related. Anyway I have the recovery CDs if a probable solution would be that.

I've read here about solutions like flashing the bios. I didn't do it but I could try it if you think it could work. I don't know if there are new updates. The truth is I'm a total newbie on flashing the bios.

In conclusion, any help you could give me will be appreciate. I'm in the Lost island right now. I can't understand why this happens.

So, thanks for your help and again, sorry for my english.

* I didn't take it to the support because this is kind of random and I really need my laptop.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that when this happens, I can't turn on the laptop with the on/off button. But if I press space and escape it turns on again, and fails again of course.

Answer
Options

10 Posts

03-10-2013

15 Signins

102 Page Views

Re: Lenovo g470 shutdown problems (in intervals of 10-12 days)

2013-03-13, 12:33 PM

Hi, finally I could fix myself the problem. I’m going to explain how I did it. It may could be helpful for someone in a similar situation.
Like I said, my laptop had this problem of shutting down unexpectedly. It used to happen randomly, and then, at the hours, or maybe the next day, the laptop would come back to a regular performance. But this was until the last saturday. The last saturday I was at the point where my laptop had not boot after 2 days.
And didn’t do it the next day neither. But the bigger problem was I couldn’t even enter the bios, or the boot menu. So I wasn’t able to boot from a cd.
So, after posting my problem here and researching a little bit, I had finally decided to send it to the service. 
To do it I had to backup some files I needed. So, I removed the hdd and started to back it up. But before I tested the laptop without the hard drive, just to see what happened, and I discovered that without it, the laptop worked normally. And I was able to enter the bios. So, that was something.
I tried to investigate how could I update the bios without the hdd, but I decided not to do it. I couldn’t find clear information about this, and didn’t want to make more trouble.
So, here is how I finally solved it: Like I said in the original post, I had installed the ultimate version of W7 and partitioned the hdd in two parts, so I thought that formatting the disk and removing the partition would be a solution for to the problem. I had no arguments to believe this could be the solution. Just an idea. The only idea I had.
So, I backed up all the files I could (with a case for notebook’s hdd), then I did the format with Gparted in my linux pc, and inserted the hdd again into the laptop. After that, I booted with the recovery dvds and, at this moment, the laptop is working perfectly.
It’s been a few hours since I fixed it, but I think it’s going to be fine, otherwise, I’ll let you know.
I want say that I don’t know if this is the best solution, it's just what it worked for me.
What I learned from all this? 2 things: first, it’s terrible to live thinking your laptop has died. Terrible. I became in a zombie for a few days. And second, do never change your pre installed windows unless you really need to. Or if you do it wait a few months. I did it at the second day I had bought my noteboook, and this was a trouble at the moment of determining the origins of the problem.
Now it’s working great, but, like I said, I’ll inform you if it fails again.
I hope you had understand my english, and I wish this could be helpful for the community.
Cheers

Replies(7)
Options

1244 Posts

11-02-2011

India

1456 Signins

9967 Page Views

• Views: 9967
  • Message 2 of 8

2013-03-11, 12:45 PM

Hi

Welcome To Lenovo Community

We are really sorry to hear about the issue you are facing,  

Please try disconnecting all cable and battery from the unit , Now press the power button for 30-40 sec then release , perform this action 4 -5 times , now connect AC adaptor  to check  by powering on and booting the system. If system is working fine you can shut down and connect the battery to check,

Also try updating the Bios from the below link

BIOS Update for 64bit Windows

BIOS Update for 32bit Windows

In case issue remains same please contact local Lenovo support to have system verified

http://support.lenovo.com/en_IN/feedback/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76613

Do give this a try and let us know  

Hope This Helps

Cheers!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English Community   Deutsche Community   Comunidad en Español

Options

10 Posts

03-10-2013

15 Signins

102 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2013-03-11, 18:46 PM

Hi RMatoo. Thanks for your answer.

I did your first  suggestion and it seemed it was going to work, because I could enter to the windows boot menu, but then failed immediately.

But then, I removed the hdd to backup some files (because of the time that could take to the support to fix it). And decided to try the laptop without the disk. Just to see what happens. And now it seems to work fine. With the disk plugged in I couldn't enter the bios or the boot menu. Now I can, on AC or battery.

I don't know if this is enough to diagnose that the problem is the hdd. I don't think so. But, in this conditions I think I could try to update the bios (is it posible without a hard drive?). I'll have to research about this (Like I said I'm a newbie on that subject).

I guess I'll try that option, before delivering to support.

Thanks, and if you have new ideas I'll happily hear them.

Answer
Options

10 Posts

03-10-2013

15 Signins

102 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2013-03-13, 12:33 PM

Hi, finally I could fix myself the problem. I’m going to explain how I did it. It may could be helpful for someone in a similar situation.
Like I said, my laptop had this problem of shutting down unexpectedly. It used to happen randomly, and then, at the hours, or maybe the next day, the laptop would come back to a regular performance. But this was until the last saturday. The last saturday I was at the point where my laptop had not boot after 2 days.
And didn’t do it the next day neither. But the bigger problem was I couldn’t even enter the bios, or the boot menu. So I wasn’t able to boot from a cd.
So, after posting my problem here and researching a little bit, I had finally decided to send it to the service. 
To do it I had to backup some files I needed. So, I removed the hdd and started to back it up. But before I tested the laptop without the hard drive, just to see what happened, and I discovered that without it, the laptop worked normally. And I was able to enter the bios. So, that was something.
I tried to investigate how could I update the bios without the hdd, but I decided not to do it. I couldn’t find clear information about this, and didn’t want to make more trouble.
So, here is how I finally solved it: Like I said in the original post, I had installed the ultimate version of W7 and partitioned the hdd in two parts, so I thought that formatting the disk and removing the partition would be a solution for to the problem. I had no arguments to believe this could be the solution. Just an idea. The only idea I had.
So, I backed up all the files I could (with a case for notebook’s hdd), then I did the format with Gparted in my linux pc, and inserted the hdd again into the laptop. After that, I booted with the recovery dvds and, at this moment, the laptop is working perfectly.
It’s been a few hours since I fixed it, but I think it’s going to be fine, otherwise, I’ll let you know.
I want say that I don’t know if this is the best solution, it's just what it worked for me.
What I learned from all this? 2 things: first, it’s terrible to live thinking your laptop has died. Terrible. I became in a zombie for a few days. And second, do never change your pre installed windows unless you really need to. Or if you do it wait a few months. I did it at the second day I had bought my noteboook, and this was a trouble at the moment of determining the origins of the problem.
Now it’s working great, but, like I said, I’ll inform you if it fails again.
I hope you had understand my english, and I wish this could be helpful for the community.
Cheers

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

07-28-2013

1 Signins

4 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2013-07-28, 11:25 AM

Hii...folks..i am using LENOVO G470 laptop . My problem with the my Lappy is.... it shuts down by overheating , if my lappy is on for 2hours conitnuously . Even the mouse touch pad gets heated too much that it is too hot to touch . One of my friend tells me that it is the problem with cooling pads  . I hope anyone who can solve my problem , i am very thankful to him/her. Hoping for a favourable reply from LENOVO community.

Options

1 Posts

06-25-2014

pakistan / lahore

2 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 6 of 8

Re: Lenovo g470 shutdown problems (

2014-06-25, 6:00 AM

sir i have lenovo g470 and its quite good but from last 15 days its having the problem of shutting down it dont shutdown even after press shutdown button and when i press the sleep button it hibirnate and stucks  please tell me the sloution .and i forgot to mention i am using windoww 8

Options

27 Posts

02-10-2016

India

46 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 7 of 8

2016-02-12, 11:28 AM

Hi alemaneitor,

I had, and still sometimes have, this problem of computer just stopping, and then coming on after half a day or some hours. I also agree that one should not change Windows version. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows7 Ultimate just because it was a free upgrade. It was a sin! There may be many hidden incompatibilities I have yet to notice. And they say G470 is not even supported on Windows 10! eek!

You did a bold thing by removing hdd etc. And I hope it stays good. But we still don't know WHY it happens? I am mortally scared of a worm or virus working slyly in the background.   I do have windows defender, and use it regularly, but who knows?

So when you, or anyone else, discovers THE root cause, please do share with us all.

Thanks.

Options

1 Posts

08-29-2016

Mexico

1 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 8 of 8

2016-08-29, 16:25 PM

Good day.

Through this post, I want to call your attention to the following problem.
Buy about 3 years ago a Lenovo G400S-1770
S / N CB22978674, which yesterday presented the following problem.
Not turn on the computer, only the LEDs, apparently neither is the display.
Often see the problem on the Internet and forums Lenovo I found that there are many users with this problem and with this model, which is assumed to be a manufacturing defect. Mark sosporte Mexico and do not want to support me to solve my problem, so I turn to you so that you can help me.
With this team and go two experiences with this same problem, which is affecting its credibility, quality and commercially may have repercussions.

NOTE. The person who took me and hung up, his name is Romario Peña.

Francisco P.

REGARDS

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)