Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ouk5856
Paper Tape
Views: 639
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo g50-80 PF0C6711 maintainance

Hi,

i started this topic cause i am having some issues with my lenovo g50-80.The last couple of months after some driver updates it started overheating when playing some games and eventually doing an emergency shut down.I checked the temperatures and found out that my laptop got to the emergency shut-down at 70 C, while it should normaly be able to operate normally even at 90 C (cpu and gpu manual say they can handle a max temp of 105 C), and since 3-4 months ago it could handle those temps  i am guessing that some software has limited my max temp.So my question is how can i change the max temp limit.Also another issue i have is that i want to start a full maintainance on the laptop but i dont want to use a thermal pad for the gpu, is it posible to use artic silver 5 on it or is the gap too big and i have to get another thermal pad?

SeniorGuru
Views: 592
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo g50-80 PF0C6711 maintainance

Depending on the attachment method for the HSF to Chip interface. If spring loaded, the Artic Silver is a good way to go. The spring tension usually can make up a small gap difference.  On a seperate note, if the CPU is shutting down due to thermal limitations, it is usually controlled by the CPU not software.  In some cases the CPU actually starts to fail at a lower temp due to internal failures or transistor die off, but that is rare.

Thermal pads usually are there to hold the HSF to the chip without the need for external clamps, hold downs and such.  If the heatsink over the GPU does not have "hold downs" then an adhesive thermal pad is the only good reliable option.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Ouk5856
Paper Tape
Views: 584
Message 3 of 4

Thanks, your answer is fully answering my question, i dd a pre-maintainance check and turns out the fun exhaust was full of dust thus preventing the air flow and it actually was causing the overheat, but the info about the thermal pads is very usefull for me since now i know i can change it since on my machine there are clamps on top of the gpu chip, so the gap wont by too big, thank you very much, good luck and have a good day my friend

SeniorGuru
Views: 579
Message 4 of 4

@Ouk5856 wrote:

Thanks, your answer is fully answering my question, i dd a pre-maintainance check and turns out the fun exhaust was full of dust thus preventing the air flow and it actually was causing the overheat, but the info about the thermal pads is very usefull for me since now i know i can change it since on my machine there are clamps on top of the gpu chip, so the gap wont by too big, thank you very much, good luck and have a good day my friend

Good to know that the HSF is useable with Artic... I use that on all my critical builds and have never been let down.  Usually is a 2c to 10c reduction in temps... provided the HSF is a good one.

Also - make sure to use only canned computer air on dust... Too many people use air from compressors, or other mechanical accelerators.  This can lead to issues with damage due to oil, or fast moving particulate matter as well as blowing off SMD's.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors