Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kapi0036
Paper Tape
Views: 560
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo g500 Intel Turbo Boost

Some time ago I replaced the processor in my Lenovo G500 laptop from Intel Core i3, 3rd Gen (I don't remember the exact model), to Intel Core i5-3340M.

The new processor model i installed has Intel Turbo Boost Technology, it's frequency can go from 2.7 GHz to 3.4 GHz.

The thing is it doesn't seem to be working. I know boost should work automatically but I don't think it does. I used HWMonitor and CPU-Z to check the frequency and it doesn't go above 2.7 GHz. I watched the frequency through HWMonitor when using CPU-heavy programs, even if i stress the CPU with cpu-z, it's frequency stays the same (2.7 GHz).

There is no option for enabling/disabling Intel Turbo Boost in BIOS. I tried doing it some other ways i found in the internet, but nothing worked. I've updated the drivers for CPU and everything else- no results.

If somebody knows what may be the issue, please help.

IMG_4627.JPGIMG_4628.JPG

My specifications

Laptop Lenovo G500:

• Operating system- Windows 10 Pro
  • CPU- Intel Core i5-3340M, 2.70GHz
  • GPU 1- Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • GPU 2- AMD Radeon HD 8500M Series
  • RAM- 8GB DDR3
  • Drive- SSD Toshiba-TR200
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 541
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo g500 Intel Turbo Boost

Hey there, kapi0036!

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Forum! 

Just to confirm, are you trying to play games, or using a certain application such as a video editing software on the laptop? Did you change any settings or install anything prior to that? When was the last time you used the Intel Turbo Boost Technology? 

You may try updating the BIOS firmware on the laptop and check the Intel Turbo Boost again. However, please back up all your important files for security purposes. 

Regards!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

kapi0036
Paper Tape
Views: 537
Message 3 of 9

Yes, I am trying to play games on my laptop. I did not change any settings or install anything other than lastest Intel drivers and software from Intel’s site.

I have never used Turbo Boost on this laptop. When I replaced the CPU and saw that the new one can be boosted I kind of assumed it gets boosted automatically. After couple months of using it I finally checked and boost is not working. I don’t think it ever worked- if it would i’d probably notice some performance changes.

How can I update BIOS firmware?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 524
Message 4 of 9

Hi! The Ideapad G500 is not compatible with Windows 10 because there are no drivers for this device under Windows 10 OS and you can refer to this link; https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g500.... But you can try updating the BIOS under Drivers and software tab if it will push through. We highly suggest you to downgrade the OS to Windows 8.1 atleast.

Have you tried checking the performance when the computer is under heavy usage like when playing a game? Usually the turbo boost comes in when the system needs it. For more information, check this link: https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technolog....

Moderator comment: Links expanded.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

kapi0036
Paper Tape
Views: 488
Message 5 of 9

Ok, so I tried some things to fix the Turbo Boost.

I formated my hard drive then installed Windows 10 again, then I updated my chipset and CPU drivers from Lenovo’s site- checked the Turbo Boost, sill didn’t work. Then I upgraded my BIOS firmware, still nothing changed (It said I had the lastest BIOS firmware even before updating)

I thought maybe the drivers didn’t work correctly because I’m on Win10 and they are dedicated for Windows 8.1. So I wiped my hard drive again and installed Windows 8.1 instead. Then installed all the drivers again and still nothing changed- Turbo Boost is not working and my frequency doesn’t go above 2.7, doesn’t matter how much I stress my CPU.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 483
Message 6 of 9

Hi kapi0036!

Thanks for posting back,

Looking at the Intel Turbo Boost Technology,

https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technolog...

Due to varying power characteristics, some parts with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 may not achieve maximum turbo frequencies when running heavy workloads and using multiple cores concurrently.

Availability and frequency upside of Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, the following:

• Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Estimated current consumption
  • Estimated power consumption
  • Processor temperature

Also, though the discussion is meant for a different model, suggestions from users in this thread might help,

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-g500-Intel-Turbo-Boost/m-p/42644...

Regards,

kapi0036
Paper Tape
Views: 461
Message 7 of 9

The problem isn’t my CPU not reaching max Turbo Boost frequency. It’s that the boost is not working at all. My CPU doesn’t go over it’s base frequency.

Also Hector_Lenovo, I think you’ve sent a link to a thread we’re on.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 454
Message 8 of 9

Hi! Try to enable the Turbo-Boost using the Throttlestop app (3rd party software) https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

-Ensure Maximum Processor State is set to 100% under Control Panel (classic view) > Power Options
-Enable SpeedStep (EIST), make sure Disable Turbo is disabled

kapi0036
Paper Tape
Views: 411
Message 9 of 9

Still nothing. Tried using Throttlestop, did everything you said. I made sure „Disable Turbo Boost” was off and „Speed step” on and my Maximum Processor state was at 100%. Still stuck at 2.7 GHz.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors