Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Toby9
Paper Tape
Views: 830
Message 11 of 15

Re: Lenovo laptop. Faulty keyboard - can't log on

Cheers mate. I plugged a keyboard in and it wouldn’t work for about half an hour and then worked fine. I then turned my computer off and then I came back to use it. I couldn’t even get on to the log in screen. Eventually i did but still the external keyboard didnt work for half an hour. Then was all fine and working again? Not sure what is going ...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 816
Message 12 of 15

Does this keyboard have any indicator lights on it?  Are they on when you boot the computer or are they off?  If they are off, it might be that the USB ports don't work for awhile.  If they are on, it could mean that Windows is trying to find a driver for your keyboard for awhile.

Go into device manager and see if there are any yellow tags on any of the hardware.

Regards,

Dave  

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Toby9
Paper Tape
Views: 801
Message 13 of 15

There are lights for num lock, caps lock and another with a picture of an arrow amd a screen. They all work as soon as the keyboard connects. Will check out the device manager.

Thanks,

Toby

Toby9
Paper Tape
Views: 762
Message 14 of 15

The external keyboard wasn’t working at all so I couldn’t log in. I realised that I could only type vowels with accents on and found a similar thread to this. I short term solution was mentioned to repeatedly press alt gr. This seemed to work for the external keyboard but not the laptop one. I went on device manager, couldn’t see any yellow tags but I went in to the keyboard bit and it said ‘this device is not working properly’. I pressed ok and it carried on doing the same. Not really sure what to do. If I can keep pressing alt gr and the external keyboard works then I can cope for a bit. Would be better if i could find a long term solution though. 

Grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 749
Message 15 of 15

Hi,

Before we go too far here, I suggest backing up all your personal stuff to a flash drive or external hard drive just in case the keyboard messes itself up totally.

You could then try to go back into Device Manager and open the keyboard and then click on driver.  You can try to update the driver from there and see if Windows finds something different. The first keyboard shown "should" be the installed laptop keyboard.

Dave  

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors