Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unlikelysource
Paper Tape
Views: 336
Message 1 of 8

Memory modules for G550

Hello

Forgive my status as a technoramus, roll your eyes as necessary, then please skinny me on what I need to know to increase the 2G memory for my G550 laptop.

Depending on price, I may go as high as 8G, but 4G or 6G are options, as well.

So, what's compatible, and can I simply add to the existing 2G, or do I need to replace that module?

Much obliged

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 248
Message 2 of 8

Re: Memory modules for G550

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

I'm not an owner of your model, but according to the Lenovo Specification sheet for the G550 you can have up to 8GBs DDR3 DRAM 1066MHz of total memory installed.  That would require replacing your current memory with two 4GBs modules to achieve the maximum memory. 

You can add whatever combination of memory best fits your budget.....  Two 2 GBs modules, a 2 and a 4GBs modules or two 4GBs modules.  If you are using Windows 10 as an operating system, the best performance would be maximizing the memory to the 8GBs.

For your reference, the Lenovo Specification sheet.......

http://www.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/WW/EMEA/merchandising/pdf/en/G550_Consumer_DS_24NOV09.pdf

What one on-line memory retailer offers and recommends.....

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/lenovo-g550

Page #33 of your model's User Guide will explain how to replace the memory.  Here is a link to that guide....

https://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/G450-G550/Lenovo%...

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 246
Message 3 of 8

Additional information...... it would appear that some G550 models had a limitation on the maximum amount of memory that could be installed.  The Lenovo PSREF specification sheet is showing on 4GBs total can be installed on the G550 models starting on page #94.  Here is a link to that PSREF....

http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/3wbook.pdf

Which is confirmed on Crucial's website....

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/g550-(2958-r6u)

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

unlikelysource
Paper Tape
Views: 238
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for all the intel.  It looks like I can only use 4G, but I'm wondering why I only had 2G to begin with.  Any idea?

And just to be clear, you're saying I need to add all new memory, removing the 2G module currently in use?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 234
Message 5 of 8

You are welcome. 

No idea why your computer only had 2 GBs installed when new.  I would suspect back when your computer was new that you had an earlier version of Windows and that 2 GBs of memory was more than adequate for that operating system.  Since the supplied operating system worked well with the installed memory, there was no reason to add more memory which would have raised the price. Not an uncommon practice for any brand of computer.

You can use your existing memory module, but if you were able to go with the 8GB maximum, you would have to replace that module with 4 GB module.  I assume you have one of those models that is limited to 4 GBs.  If so, you will just need to add a new 2 GB module to your empty memory slot.

unlikelysource
Paper Tape
Views: 230
Message 6 of 8

Understood.

Last question (famous last words)

Crucial quotes a price of $26.99 for this

2GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.35V 256Meg x 64

Is it worth hunting for a better deal, or would you deem that reasonable?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 225
Message 7 of 8

You can always find a better deal if you search long enough.  A big plus I have found with Crucial is that they guarantee compatibility with easy returns.  Regardless of where you do buy the memory see what their return policy is. 

unlikelysource
Paper Tape
Views: 221
Message 8 of 8

Sound advice.

Again, much obliged for the assistance.

Top Kudoed Authors