Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sebastian333
Paper Tape
Views: 168
Message 1 of 6

Mother board compatibility between 2 types of Lenovo G580 (

I hope this is not too off-topic for everyone, but someone please help me!

My system board is broken. Need to replace it. Found a very similar laptop but I dont know if the system board from this laptop is compatible/identical with my broken one. Here are the two systems:

1. Broken system board in Lenovo laptop:
G580 20150
SN: XXXXXXXX     Serial number removed per forum rules - mod    pictire with serial also deleted
PN: 59334839
(Lenovo support system calls it Type 2189)

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g580...

2. Functioning system board in a different Lenovo laptop:
G580 20157
SN: xxxxxxxxxx
PN: 59334737
(Lenovo support system calls it Type 2689)

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g580...

Would it be enough if all slots (usb, power, hdmi) have the same position?

Thank you very much for any help you are willing to give.

Sebastian

SeniorGuru
Views: 161
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mother board compatibility between 2 types of Lenovo G580 (

It is not advisable to post Serial Number information in the forums as it can lead to problems (compromised information).

The best bet is to find an exact duplicate board to use in your system, as type numbers that are different use different configurations including main boards.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
sebastian333
Paper Tape
Views: 152
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your reply but that really doesn't help at all. Of course my best bet is to get an identical one. But my question is if that one will do. If it will work.

SeniorGuru
Views: 142
Message 4 of 6

Usually it has to be an EXACT match to work... The differing type numbers indicate different builds including system boards - so unless you tear them both down to reveal the board numbers it will not work.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 122
Message 5 of 6

I cannot tell for sure without seeing it, but it looks to me like the board will fit.  I cannot get enough inffo to see if they both have the same kind of graphics (integrated vs. discrete).  It looks to me like they use the same BIOS.  If the graphics are different, you would need to change the fan.  The path that will always work is what CBHendrickis said - get the same part number, but I would expect it to work regardless, especially if you get an assembly with the fan and CPU attached.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Highlighted
sebastian333
Paper Tape
Views: 104
Message 6 of 6

Now that's a great answer! Thank you so much!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors