Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 9 (221 Views)

My G580 bios reads "For evaluation only. not for resale. Won't allow to upgrade bios. Need help

My G580 is stuck onpage that reads FOR EVALUATION ONLY. NOT FOR RESALE. Won't allow to upload bios. Did nothing but power on machine for this to occur.

Guru
Message 2 of 9 (196 Views)

Re: My G580 bios reads "For evaluation only. not for resale. Won't allow to upgrade bios. Need

[ Edited ]

SANDIEGO wrote:

My G580 is stuck onpage that reads FOR EVALUATION ONLY. NOT FOR RESALE. Won't allow to upload bios. Did nothing but power on machine for this to occur.

Sounds like a BIOS "reset" is the answer...

• Turn off notebook
  • Unplug AC adapter
  • Remove battery
  • Press and hold the power button down for 30 seconds
  • re-attach battery, AC adapter
  • *** Power up notebook using "Novo" button only ***
  • Enter BIOS, use f9 to set defaults
  • Save and Exit BIOS (restarts notebook)

Try these steps and post back.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 9 (183 Views)

Re: My G580 bios reads "For evaluation only. not for resale. Won't allow to upgrade bios. Need

I followed steps as described but still the same result. Boots into boot menu screen, but can't boot into any of the options, which are HD, External Drive, or USB Drive. Also has an App Menu Option which consists of Diagnostic Splash in which Bios  reads For eval only screen appears.
Guru
Message 4 of 9 (173 Views)

Did you use the Novo button (smaller, to the right of the power button) to start up the notebook?

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 9 (169 Views)

Yes, I used  the lenovo support button, and it booted to the screen with the 4 options. but the outcome is still the same screen with the Evaluation, not for resale bios screen. I  tried to boot from internal DVD w windows disc, USB Iso, And external drive w boot disc but loops back to same screen on restarts.

Token Ring
Message 6 of 9 (156 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is purely a BIOS issue.

Is this the original BIOS?

The G580 (plain vanilla) drivers page shows a BIOS version (62CN44WW, dated 03/31/2017) that appears to be an earlier version than you have installed. However, I am not sure of your exact model number.

The solution may be to reflash the BIOS from a USB stick.

Guru
Message 7 of 9 (152 Views)

[ Edited ]

NewLaptop - the OP needs to be able to access the BIOS menu or have it boot from a drive to flash / update the BIOS, and cannot do either as the BIOS is an "EVAL" version, one that does not allow the computer to be put to use.

SANDIEGO - Where did you get the notebook from? If retail store - take it back and have them provide a working model. If off an "online" store, contact vendor for replacement.

The only other option would be to contact Lenovo Support via phone, discuss warranty repair / system board replacement options.

Good luck.

CB

Token Ring
Message 8 of 9 (148 Views)

[ Edited ]

@CB: I thought Lenovo offered a Crisis Recovery Solution; however, since I am not familiar with his laptop, I did not investigate any further. I also felt it necessary to chime in when the novo key was suggested because it has nothing to do with his issue, and to the best of my knowledge, would not reflash the BIOS to the original version. Moreover, I have a funny feeling that someone tried to upgrade that laptop and ended up downloading that beta BIOS version (which may or may not work because I do not see it listed as compatible for that laptop). There is also many others that have encountered this issue and it might be worth it for the OP to look as some of these other posts regarding the same issue:

For evaluation only. not for resale

Also, if you read through the threads (above), you will find several people that have an EVAL BIOS installed and their computers actually still work. IMHO, that EVAL BIOS should work if it is compatible with the PC/Laptop. How else would someone be able to evaluate it?

Guru
Message 9 of 9 (132 Views)

EVAL BIOS files are not considered beta, but usually are installed to "evaluate" conditions on the system, from a diagnostic platform or bench test situation. Usually the result of a board replacement, or system repair where the Service Center missed on replacing the BIOS (flashing it) to the end user version.

Some times the Novo button will allow one to enter BIOS settings even if not able to do so from hotkey, thus the suggestion.

CB

Top kudoed Authors