Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GamexFr34k
Paper Tape
Views: 390
Message 1 of 7

My Girlfriend Lenovo G505 boots up slow

I purchased a Lenovo G505 laptop for my Girlfriend back in 10-01-13, I purchased it with a exstended 1 year warranty,, but anyways, she likes to play Sim3 ALOT, and i mean ALOT, which isnt a graphically heavy game for a A6 APU 4 GB of DDR 3 Ram, but i know that the game takes ALOT of resources for some reason, but i notcied while she was playing it it takes nearly a half hour for her game to load before she can start playing, So i decided to upgrade her RAM and HDD, to a SSD and 16 GB of Ram, which brought her APU shared graphics memeory from 256 to 512 ( which to me seems pretty low but from what i could tell there is no way to change that, I was hoping for atleast 1gb), all said and done, her game boots up pretty fast now, only takes about 10 minutes, which is great, but since the upgrade, her laptop has started to get really hot, which this laptop usually stayed pretty cool, I even Dust it out regularly with a can of air, and keep it pretty dust free. she keeps the laptop closed on top of the TV stand and uses the HDMI cable and a wireless keyboard and mouse, and plays on a TV, for on the couch expeirance, but since then we have had to invest in 2 fans, 1 laptop fan with a 140 mm that runs at 1600 rpm, and a small window fan that sits on the CD drive side of the laptop to help blow any hot air lingering AWAY from the laptop ( dont want it facing the side vent, due to the fan pushing hot air out, and ruin the fan, and fighting with its sell to keep it cool), and still it over heats, eventually will shut down, and to top it all off she has to wait for the laptop to completely cool its self off before booting it up, and also since then, her laptop takes about 15-30 minutes to boot up from sleep mode or off mode, she runs windows 10 as a OS. and one more thing i notced the HEAT plate that is sitting ontop of the APU, well its junk, yeah has some heat pipes going to some fins, and gets blown out by the fan, but considering the space the PLATE its self could have some low profile Fins, because when i have checked to see what was over heating, the plate was so hot i litterly could cook my self a egg and bacon breakfast on it. i tried to see if there was any after market coolers for the G505, something thats a little more effeciant on cooling, but there is nothing out there for it. i know this is long, but im covering all the basis here, she plays another game called star stables, its a horse racing MMO game, graphically far better then the sims 3, but yet never over heats and never shuts down, while she plays that. but after an upgrade you would think this laptop would take from 4-7 minutes to boot, to 1-1.5 minutes to boot not 15-30 minutes.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 372
Message 2 of 7

Re: My Girlfriend Lenovo G505 boots up slow

Hi GamexFr34k and welcome to the community,

Have you tried to re-apply the thermal paste?  Have you tried running the machine on just battery and see if it does the same thing?  Is there any difference running on AC and running on just battery?

Is there a bios update for your machine, what bios are you running?

Dave 

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
GamexFr34k
Paper Tape
Views: 367
Message 3 of 7

question how having it plugged in and not plugged in make a difference? cant really unplug it due to the fact the battery after awhile stopped holding a charge, bio's i have no idea what bio's version it has, but again, how would that make a difference on how hot this thing gets

GamexFr34k
Paper Tape
Views: 366
Message 4 of 7

oh and as far as thermal paste goes, yes, ur suppose to reapply thermal paste every 1-2 years

GamexFr34k
Paper Tape
Views: 365
Message 5 of 7

the only thing unplugging a laptop from power does, is performance, running off battery is just going to make it perform less viable like any other laptop, thats why there is 2 different modes it goes into when you have it plugged in vs not having it plugged in.

GamexFr34k
Paper Tape
Views: 363
Message 6 of 7

I just simply wanna know why it takes 15-30 minutes to boot up after installing a SSD Drive nad more ram, common sense tells me, that when you upgrade a computer, (which i have built a few in the past) it should perform better, not worse, specially when it comes to putting more ram in, for onboard graphics and as well as a SSD from a HDD, if anything its caused it to boot up slower, boot games and programs faster, and over heat and shut off, or crash the program. kinda doesn't make sense, let alone why the APU even those the shared graphics memory, only doubled, made it go from running virtually  room tempreture, to be able to cook meat on it

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 352
Message 7 of 7

Read this thread to see why running on battery might work better than being plugged in. There have also been instances where a later bios fixed throttling issues that caused a machine to run slower.

You could also have a bad ram stick, try running it with one ram stick at a time and see if it changes anything.

Dave 

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors