Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cbay
Punch Card
Views: 32,113
Message 1 of 13

New G580 has seven partitions, Help identify?

Having a  hard time figuring the partitions.   first is a windows  recovery drive.  Second the windows boot partition.  Third i'm guessing a lenovo recovery drive.   Other than C: Windows, The other i'm not sure.

Other info:

Made usb factory restore and made one restore point.  When i made the usb factory restore when it finished it asked if i wanted to erase the recovery and i selected yes.   Was thinking maybe G: was created when i made the restore.

If there are links to figuring out exactly what they are that would be great.  Or someone kindly explain if they can.  :

Thanks 

Chris

partitions.PNG

cbay
Punch Card
Views: 32,082
Message 2 of 13

Re: New G580 has seven partitions, Help identify?

As i discover a little more about the partitions, i realize this thread should probably be moved.  Smiley Embarassed

Let me try a different way to inquire:  Aside of the operating system and boot partitions, the only purpose for any more partitions is for:  rescue, recovery, backup or repair.  

It would be nice to know what dependencies these partitions have with each other.  Does the first partition (windows recovery environment) only need the hidden reserved partition?  Does it perform a facotry restore from the reserved or does it need data from another drive as well?

Is the lenovo partiton (3rd) just another way of accessing the same? or is it all inclusive or get the image from the D drive?

These are the types of things i want to understand.  I know a lot of folks are just ithcing to start deleting partitons and can't leave things alone.   true i would like to clean things up some, but i haven't messed with anything yet and have already made the usb factory image and plan to make an image of C on dvd as well ........All before i even consider trying to optimize my hdd.

Maybe if there is knowledge out there willing to share someone could post what they know some of these partitions perform and how they work with the other ones.

Here is an image of what windows recommends for partitioning windows 8 hard drives

reccomended partiton layout from windows.PNG

Now that appears a little more organized and think that would be sufficient.  How do the other two partitions i have play into this type of layout?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 32,066
Message 3 of 13

hi cbay,

In a UEFI/GPT lenovo machine, this is the usual layout of the partitions:

1.) WINRE_DRV 1000MB OEM - this is the Windows Recovery Environment - this has it's own interface / it doesn't need the 7th partition to operate
2.) SYSTEM_DRV 260MB System - check this thread

3.) LRS_ESP 1000MB OEM- The third partition is the EFI System partition which is used for data storage for the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) interface
4.) (blank) 128MB MSR - The fourth partition is the Microsoft Reserved Partition which is also used for data storage for the Globally Unique Identifier (GUID).
5.) Windows8_OS 884.2GB Primary - Windows 8 OS
6.) LENOVO 25GB Primary - this contains the Application and Drivers that are preloaded on the OS (the drivers listed on this folder are also available on the lenovo website)
7.) PBR_DRV 20GB OEM - this is your recovery partition - you will need to press the One Key Recovery button to activate this partition.

Hope this heps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

cbay
Punch Card
Views: 32,057
Message 4 of 13

Most excellent!!!! Thank you very much. That is very helpful.
rmillord
Paper Tape
Views: 31,864
Message 5 of 13

My new G580 with Win 8/64 has 6 partitions:

1000 MB Recovery Partition

260 MB EFI System Partition

1000 MB OEM Partition

20 GB Recovery Partition

25 GB LENOVO (D) (Primary Partition)

418.43 GB Windows8_OS (C) ..... partition

On my new computers, I usually create my own large partition for any data, keeping only the max required size of the system and programs partition.

Do I need ALL the above partitions?

Could I resize (much smaller) the OS partition and create my own large partition without any partitioning program?

I do not have really much of experience with Win 8.

Thanks for any help...

fusion01k
Punch Card
Views: 31,680
Message 6 of 13

I would love an answer to the above question as well as my own.  I would like to get a set of DVDs or a separate hdd to be able to recreate the original factory specs.  On the SSD I would like a setup like I was familiar with on XP and Vista with one partition for the C; drive and D: drive is just a large data drive.  7 partitions is nuts and a waste oif space especially if your drive is a 120GB SSD.  Ideally I'd like to fit WIndows 8 from the Lenovo One Key Recovery onto 1 partition and that partition is less than 40GB

fusion01k
Punch Card
Views: 31,641
Message 7 of 13

anyone?

cbay
Punch Card
Views: 31,624
Message 8 of 13

Rmillord / fusion:

If you notice this image is from a third party partition program which also shows your hidden partition (you actually have seven partitions).

The first is useful if you have a problem and need to repair your OS and don't want to do a complete reinstall from the recovery.  

The second is active / boot and is required.

The third is a lenovo partition - which i removed (because i have made a recovery and a repair media (usb))  

Fourth you can't remove (hidden)

Fifth OS

Sixth & seventh (D & G) I removed and made my own D for larger storage such as photos / videos.

I Only made these changes after making the repair and recovery usb.  Also made a system image on CD.

So basically i find it useful to have the first (RE) partition in case there is a problem that can be recovered through windows without reinstalling and kept it.  (not much space required).

The second is active boot.  leave it alone.

Wipe the lenovo partitions if you desire but make your recovery and repair ahead of time.

Just my opinion on this, so do your own research.  

The response by lenovo support on this thread gives you good info to look into.

Hope this helps.

partitions.PNG

fusion01k
Punch Card
Views: 31,608
Message 9 of 13

Thanks cbay.  So in your situation with the removed recovery partition but having made the recovery USB, if you need to re-install windows or take it back to the factory fresh condition from Lenovo, what do you do?

cbay
Punch Card
Views: 31,589
Message 10 of 13

Change boot order (USB),  put usb in and runSmiley Happy

It has always worked on my older lappie (w/7 (lenovo))

I did check the files on the usb after making the recovery and verified everything was there, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If there was a problem with above method i would run the repair cd i made and go about it that way.  

But since this is a new lappie and i  made a system image on cds with my main programs and tweaks early on i a healthy state i would use it instead.

fusion there are good threads on using recovery on this site.  Just make sure to make the recovery media and you will avoid all those problems you read on there.

regards,

Chris

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors