Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
volkeru
Punch Card
Views: 2,401
Message 11 of 21

Re: Newest B490/B590 BIOS update not working

As you can read above, Lenovo will not do anything with regard to B490 and 590 notebooks running Windows 10.

If you want to flash a BIOS version you will obviously have to install Windows 7 or Windows 8 to do this.

As far as I'm concerned this was my last Lenovo Notebook. And I also will strongly advise my customers against buying lenovo products if they don't want to run out of support just 2 years after buying such a computer.

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,396
Message 12 of 21

@Maxxbsj wrote:
Hi CBH, a friend of mine has a laptop that has a messed up keyboard. We thought nothing of it until I copied something over to their pc using an ext usb drive. The next day after plugging the drive back into my pc and turning it on, the exact same problem with keyboard, appeared on my pc. Now I want to reflash my bios (as some forums suggest malware that infects the bios and affects the keyboard) but I too get a message that my pc (B590) is not compatible with the bios file. Please advise. Thanks

Reflashing the BIOS does not remove infections, it mearly attempts to overwrite the existing information from "start" to "stop" bits in the file.  The BIOS storage is purposely larger than neccessary and in that extra space is where the viruse file is dumped.

Malwarebytes is the best tool I have found for removing ALL infections from computers, notebooks and even remote hard disks (offline or online storage devices).  I would highly suggest downloading Malwarebytes, saving it to a bootable flash drive and use it to clean off the machine.  Make sure to do a complete "deep scan" to have it check everything possible.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SeniorGuru
Views: 2,390
Message 13 of 21

@volkeru wrote:

As you can read above, Lenovo will not do anything with regard to B490 and 590 notebooks running Windows 10.

If you want to flash a BIOS version you will obviously have to install Windows 7 or Windows 8 to do this.

As far as I'm concerned this was my last Lenovo Notebook. And I also will strongly advise my customers against buying lenovo products if they don't want to run out of support just 2 years after buying such a computer.

With most OEM's you are goning to find a similar issue regardless of the vendor platform.  Notebooks  / Laptops and Tablet computers are the worst hit by Moore's Law - you can expect advances in hardware (battery life, storage and Graphics) to make upgrading to a new system a more beneficial answer to upgrading an existing OS or hardware.

OEM warranties (Lenovo, HP, Sony, Acer etc) coves the devices "as shipped" from the factory, with recovery partition in place to restore software and OS for that purpose.   Most warranties will not cover OS upgrades, and do not include a "hardware certification" for future OS implementation.  I would strongly advise to look hard at recylcing. donating or re-purposing the older notebooks and moving to new platforms that fully support Windows 10 to eleminate hardware compatiblity issues from your support efforts.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
volkeru
Punch Card
Views: 2,364
Message 14 of 21

@: Sorry, but I can't follow your argumentation. The actual notebooks in the same price class do NOT have noticable advantages over the ones being 2 years "old". The B590 has an Intel core i5-3230m, 1 TB hard disk, 8 GB RAM and Nvidia Geforce GT 720m graphics. This is not "high end" but it's also not outdated compared to actual notebooks for all days work. So buying a new one would not bring any benefits concerning speed and overall performance. So this is an odd argumentation.

You better should say that lenovo want's to earn money by selling new notebooks though the old ones are fully functional. Independent from this lenovo shouldn't have permitted microsoft to upgrade to windows 10 if they knew that this notebook wouldn't work with this OS anymore. Downgrading really is NO option!

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,352
Message 15 of 21

@volkeru wrote:

@@CBHedricks: Sorry, but I can't follow your argumentation. The actual notebooks in the same price class do NOT have noticable advantages over the ones being 2 years "old". The B590 has an Intel core i5-3230m, 1 TB hard disk, 8 GB RAM and Nvidia Geforce GT 720m graphics. This is not "high end" but it's also not outdated compared to actual notebooks for all days work. So buying a new one would not bring any benefits concerning speed and overall performance. So this is an odd argumentation.

You better should say that lenovo want's to earn money by selling new notebooks though the old ones are fully functional. Independent from this lenovo shouldn't have permitted microsoft to upgrade to windows 10 if they knew that this notebook wouldn't work with this OS anymore. Downgrading really is NO option!

I appreciate your point of veiw and it is not lost on me that corporations are in it for the money...  Intel and AMD are pushing new hardware with lower power consumption and other minor improvements on a "tic / tock" schedule.  This yearly update / upgrade process has brought several improvements to the mobile processors that have significan impact on real world computing (longer battery life, reduced heat).  This and the improvments to WiFi, Bluetooth, SSD storage and graphics engines makes upgrading worth considering.  It can mean that upgrading to a new notebook is "easier" than tyring to force feed Windows 10 onto a system that was not designed to use it or take advantage of technologies that were not present on prior CPU architectures.

With Microsoft being the 900lb gorilla in the Operating Systems and Office Software world OEM's have little sway over how Microsoft builds a new OS, or how much backwards compatiblity is designed in.   For example my HP Pavilion with an i5m (sandy bridge) dual core will not load Windows 10 at all.  My Lenovo G580 i3 sucessfully upgraded to Windows 10, but the Elan touchpad is not fully supported. The Yoga 900 came with Windows 10 preloaded but we had troubles with activation, the included product key was not working. I have an Acer that works perfectly with Windows 7 and Linux Mint but fails to load Windows 10 and OpenSuSE linux. As you can see, I too have had difficulties with upgrade paths on other platforms so it is not just a "Lenovo" issue.

From a business persepective - upgrading to a new OS is costly, full of support issues and compatiblity problems.  Most buisness will avoid moving up to a new OS version until the bugs are worked out and it is a proven, mature and stable OS.  Right now - Windows 7 and Windows XP are the best business workstation options for stablity and compatility.  Even with XP loosing Microsoft support, it is still a workhorse of an OS.  Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 remind me of the crawl upwards to XP from 95.  Very similar issues with compatiblity, hardware support and failing or just plain terrible drivers.

I wish you luck with your next computer purchase, and will always be happy to discuss options as need.

Cheers.

CB

volkeru
Punch Card
Views: 2,318
Message 16 of 21

Thanks for your detailed answer!

I didn't have issues with Windows 10 on my B590 so far. Every hardware component is working fine. Except the strange BIOS Update Utility from Lenovo. Of course there have been a lot of other problems since August 2015 when I upgraded to W10, but everyone in my environment had similar problems with W10 (as you also noted). So this have not been special issues just concerning the B590.

The major problem when migrating to new hardware is that you need to fully setup the new system from scratch. This really is a lot of work and takes many weeks until the new system fulfills all your needs as the old one did! No one wants to do this if it's not absolutely necessary. If you convert all these working hours to money it's much more than the new notebook is actually worth. That's the main problem.

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,310
Message 17 of 21

@volkeru wrote:

Thanks for your detailed answer!

I didn't have issues with Windows 10 on my B590 so far. Every hardware component is working fine. Except the strange BIOS Update Utility from Lenovo. Of course there have been a lot of other problems since August 2015 when I upgraded to W10, but everyone in my environment had similar problems with W10 (as you also noted). So this have not been special issues just concerning the B590.

The major problem when migrating to new hardware is that you need to fully setup the new system from scratch. This really is a lot of work and takes many weeks until the new system fulfills all your needs as the old one did! No one wants to do this if it's not absolutely necessary. If you convert all these working hours to money it's much more than the new notebook is actually worth. That's the main problem.

The best computer or IT setup I have ever seen or worked with is one built on a set of "standards" for company computers.   IE - if you were on the Design Team, the computer you were set up to use was a specific hardware build, complete with a standard set of software and apps related to that team.  This was one of 10 different "layouts" for computers within the organization, and if one failed an exact replacement (hot spare) was rolled out to the team, all they had to do was log on and all the network documents and settings streamed onto that computer in under 30 seconds they were up and running just as before.  Essentially the user was responsible for backing up their data files, and IT managed downtime and updated the computers when the user(s) wwere off site.

This scheme allowed us to have working "hot spares" que'd up for direct replacements in case of a mechanical or hardware failure, and a set image files to restore a software issues per each setup.  This presented the minimal down time, minimal software driver updates and compatibility issues that kept us humming at top speed.

The worst I have ever seen or been involved with was a heterogeneous mix of non-standard (unique) computers running Windows OS, Linux and Mac all on the same network.  The IT staff was constantly deployed to solve issues, very frustrated with updates and drivers and the users were always angry about something "IT" could have or should have done...

volkeru
Punch Card
Views: 1,614
Message 18 of 21

I attended again to this issue as I read that the problem fixed by this BIOS Update is a severe security issue in the BIOS. So I installed Windows 7 x64 on my B590 machine to be able to flash the BIOS.

BUT: On Windows 7 the SAME ERROR occurs! So this is no problem with the operating system! This Update simlpy IS NOT WORKING! And this has nothing to do with Windows 10!

Why is Lenovo offering a definitely not working BIOS Update for nearly 2 years and not solving this problem???!!!

volkeru
Punch Card
Views: 1,599
Message 19 of 21

Betreff: Newest B490/B590 BIOS update not working

I finally solved the problem by flashing the update with DR-DOS. Worked like a charm and now the new BIOS version is 1.23 (old was 1.16). Here you may read some instructions: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-B590-upgrade-and-BIOS-Update/m-p...

techman112
What's DOS?
Views: 416
Message 20 of 21

to do the bios update find a copy of windows 7 x64 on a old hdd 2.5 sata  for laptop 20$ 25$ max and install windows 7 with basic driver let the windows 7 in trial redownload the bios update install it it will work 100% take that drive out put the orinal one back and its done 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors