cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,402

Question

My G460 had a change of motherboard due to some issues (energy overchage) at USB ports on the board.

Later, I had to re-install (recover) the OS system, which is a Windows 7 Home Premium. After a month and a week after the recovery, with no cause detectable, I started getting messages from the OS saying that "this copy of Windows is not genuine".

So I ask:

1) Does anyone have any clue about what might have caused those messages to start showing up?

2) Does anyone know a way of informing Microsoft the features of this Window copy (which came pre-installed, as OEM, in the machine) so it can check it's genuine, sparing me the need to re-install the OS and all the other programs and applications that I use?

Answer

The machine is designed where the Windows License Key is tied to its original motherboard. Thus it explaines why you need to re-actiave the Windows again since the old mothoerboard has been replaced.

If your G460 preinstalled with Windows 7, you should have the Windows product key. You just need to re-activate the  Windows 7 via

• telephone

As long as you have the genuine Windows product key, Microsoft will detect it as original.

Product key can be found on the computer. The WIndows sticker is usually at the bottom of a computer.

For more info about activating Windows 7, please refer to Microsoft's tips, Help&How-To:Activate Windows 7 on this computer

Was this information helpful?

Comments
ap70

NOT.

MY X200T CAME WITHOUT THE WINDOWS KEY/CD/CD DRIE.

WHAT TO DO?