Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RodrigoMonteiro
What's DOS?
Views: 504
Message 1 of 3

Processor upgrade on Lenovo g470

Hello, I have a Lenovo g470, and I was wondering if it would be possible to get an Ivy Bridge processor.

The manual says the following ones are compatible:

Intel I7-2620M 2.7G 4M 2c J1 PGA processor CPU.
Intel I5-2540M 2.6G 3M 2c J1 PGA processor CPU.
Intel I5-2520M 2.5G 3M 2c J1 PGA processor CPU.
Intel I5-2410M 2.3G 3M 2c J1 PGA processor CPU.
Intel I3-2310M 2.1G 3M 2c J1 PGA processor CPU.

But as it Ivy Bridge are backwards compatible with SB, I wonder if I could get a 3ª processor and put in this mobo.

If not, does it worth to change from i3 2310m to anyone of these above?? i5 2540m has 200mhz higher clock on gpu and i7 has more l3 cache(4MB), or should I just leave like this??

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

(Sorry for my bad english)

SeniorGuru
Views: 486
Message 2 of 3

Re: Processor upgrade on Lenovo g470

It really depends on what the goal is, dependant on use...  If all you are after is a bit more performance, then more memory may be a better option than trying to replace a CPU.

If you need more horsepower to run software, or perform tasks in general than an i5 would be the better choice over an i7...  It would be the best bang for the buck as well as cheaper in battery life.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
RodrigoMonteiro
What's DOS?
Views: 465
Message 3 of 3

Re: Processor upgrade on Lenovo g470

Hi, thanks for the response.

I'm after a little bit of gaming performance, I already have 6gb ram so I don't think it'll help to get more memory.

The i5 2450m is really cheap around here, and it has 1ghz more with turbo boost, so I think it would worth, right?? Also it has 200mhz more clock on gpu, I just want to be sure. The i7 is off the table, much expensive.

The i5 2520m and 2540m has the same clock gpu that 2450 so I don't think it'll make much difference.

Thank you for helping.

Top Kudoed Authors