Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

03-10-2013

Parana, Entre Rios, Argentina

15 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 1 of 6

Questions about flashing the bios

2013-05-30, 5:13 AM
Hi everyone. I have a few questions about the process involved in a bios update.
First, I should tell you I have a Lenovo G470 that sometimes has problems booting.
The problem is I turn on the laptop and after 2-3 seconds it shuts down. I see the logo, and nothing else. After that I can spend hours trying to turn it on again, and keeps failing. After some time, I turn it on and use it without problems.
Before these problems, I had experienced similar troubles, but I could fix it (in my way) and I explained it in this post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/Lenovo-g470-shutdown-problems-in-intervals-of-10-12-days/td-p/1056371

Ok, In that post a reply says that a possible solution could be a Bios update. So, I've been thinking to flash the bios to solve my actual problem, but I would like to ask you some questions:

1. Updating the bios could be a solution for this case?
2. How long does it take to update a lenovo G470 bios? (I ask this because I read that if a problem occurs in the middle the damage can be serious, and in the past I had these random shutdowns, so I'm a bit afraid)
3. How am I sure if my bios is or not updated? (there's a way to check this from windows?)
4. Finally, if you could give me a link to download the correct bios update I'll thank you.

I think that's all. I apologize for my basic english and hope you could give me some clues on this, because, as you see, I'm a total newbie.
Thanks!
Options

10 Posts

03-10-2013

15 Signins

102 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: Questions about flashing the bios

2013-05-30, 17:56 PM
I really need help with this, please. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Thanks
Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4461 Signins

274737 Page Views

• Views: 274737
  • Message 3 of 6

2013-05-30, 19:22 PM

hi alemaneitor,

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes, flashing the BIOS may help solve your problem as it will re-write the configurations on the CMOS. Take note though of the changelogs or README (repair changes) as the latest BIOS updates fixes critical issues on the hardware.

I've also seen some units that act the same as yours and doing a gpu reflow most of the time fixes the issue - see this thread in reference.

2. In flashing the BIOS outside of Windows, it takes less than a minute. If you need to run the BIOS flash utility inside Windows, it may take 1-2mins.

3. If there's a new BIOS that fixes critical issues, it's most of the time uploaded on the lenovo website (in some cases, BIOS updates are not available to the public and can only be used by service technicians)

4. The latest BIOS update for the Lenovo G470 is the one below that fixes an issue on units that can not enter BIOS after restart under compatible HDD mode (see README.TXT)

BIOS Update for 32bit Windows
40cn33ww_32.exe
3.28MB

BIOS Update for 64bit Windows
40cn33ww_64.exe
3.67MB

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

10 Posts

03-10-2013

15 Signins

102 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2013-05-30, 19:45 PM

Hi neokenchi. That was a great explanation.

I'll give it a try and tell you what happens.

Thank you very much

Options

10 Posts

03-10-2013

15 Signins

102 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2013-05-30, 20:04 PM

That's it. I did it. I was afraid about the consecuences of flashing the bios, but I can assure that the laptop didn't explode in a thousand pieces (phew!), though I need time to determine if this is the solution. But if not, at least I have the bios updated.
Thanks again neokenchi.

Options

10 Posts

03-10-2013

15 Signins

102 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2013-06-05, 21:03 PM

Hi. I came back because flashing the bios did not solve the problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to the shop where I bought it, where they'll send it to the support.

I'm really unhappy with this laptop. This is my first and when I bought it went directly to Lenovo because I really thought it was a good brand. Now I'm not sure. I've been reading lots of posts with similar problems, and i think I should have read them before.

Anyway, I only need the support give me back a stable machine. That's all. If they do, I'll come back here to tell it.

But, I do must say thanks to the community, for the dedicated answers and the help. That's the best I can say about Lenovo right now. I hope that change in the future.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms