Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_400
Paper Tape
Views: 4,891
Message 1 of 10

RAM Limit

Dear Sirs,

Now is the time that the RAM for notebook is not so expensive as beforeSmiley Wink Therefore I would like to upgrade my RAM to make my programm run faster. My question is, what is the maximum limit of RAM, which can be installed in Lenovo 3000 G400 notebook? May I install 16Gb RAM..etc? If I install high capacity of RAM, will this give a good influence to the notebook performance? Will it (big RAM) drain the Li-Ion battery faster?
I'm running vista 32bit in my Lenovo G400.
Thanks for your information.

Best Regards,

Mike

konfuzd
Token Ring
Views: 4,880
Message 2 of 10

Re: RAM Limit

The limit is 2GB (2x1GB) of DDR2 667 for your laptop. While increasing the amount of RAM will increase power consumption by that subsystem, it will ultimately decrease power consumption by decreasing hard drive usage.
apeng
Paper Tape
Views: 4,812
Message 3 of 10

hi! i just bought the g400 model of lenovo notebook. i just wanted to ask if i can upgrade or change the video card. it shows only 64mb. where can i adjust the shared memory or if it's possible to change the video card to a dedicated one?
need help. thanks.
Highlighted
zekerijah_s
Punch Card
Views: 4,799
Message 4 of 10

Hi, apeng!
You usually cannot change the amount of the shared memory-it's done automatically by system or video driver. As of the changing the card to a dedicted one, I can't help you there. I don't know. Probably it's model specific option. In some models you can change it, in some you can not.
apeng
Paper Tape
Views: 4,771
Message 5 of 10

if that's the case wil it be possible for me to upgrade my ram to 2GB to also increase the size of the shared video memory? i would like to play games with this laptop but most of the games require 128mb video memory minimum. and one more thing is that i'm using window vista is it advisable to downgrade to windows xp to make it run faster.
zekerijah_s
Punch Card
Views: 4,766
Message 6 of 10

Upgrading memory will not increase the amount of the shared memory. But, if a game requires certain amount of memory, my guess is that the system will do provide it.
apeng
Paper Tape
Views: 4,733
Message 7 of 10

ahh. maybe that's why there's an info regarding my video memory that says something about minimum graphics memory, maximum graphics memory and graphics memory in use. anyway thanks very much.
wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,728
Message 8 of 10

most of the non-performance laptops have soldered on GPU and video ram where applicable... so there is usually no option for DIY upgrades... only systems like Dell XPS, Alienware provide user with upgradable GPU components, albeit at high costs....

Vista should be run on 2 gig of ram, while increasing the ram availability allow a decrease in program load up time, by decreasing hard drive read/write access.... integrated video cards such as Intel X3100 would allow a maximum of 384 mb of shared ram, so switching to maximum shared ram usage do offer a slightly faster graphics performance.... but often the Video ram is not the bottleneck on video performance, its the GPU that is the problem..
eirrac
Paper Tape
Views: 3,965
Message 9 of 10

I just bought a 3000 C200... 512k RAM, celeron m, with Vista business preinstalled, I bought it 'used' (6 months old) on eBay.

My trusty old Thinkpad T30 had a stroke so I had to get hold of something quick, to use while the T30 was being repaired.

The 3000 c200 would never have been my first choice for a new laptop... BUT... I was pleasantly surprised.

Running Vista business made the c200 as slow as a frozen slug, so first off I ran Vista at it's basic settings (for performance not appearance), still slow but (kinda) bearable. There is a performance test built into Vista that you can benchmark your computer with, I ran that before my changes and got a 2.1, after the changes I got a 2.2... Yay.

I added 2Gigs of Ram (a single module, not 2x1, I had been told 2x1Gig would be faster), I left the existing RAM in there, so now I have 2.5Gigs of RAM which is running with no probems at all, and I did it myself wthout labour costs (it took only 45 secs).

One more  thing, I did a defrag with the built in 'disk keeper' utility, it does a very nice (and quick) job, yes a fragmented drive really does slow down your system.

Now I have a 3000 C200 that is running Vista business (in full Aero mode, very graphic and RAM sucking) that performs like a far more expensive laptop with a core 2 duo chip.

Adding more Ram and and a defrag has changed this computer into something I would recommend, I ran the perforance test again (in Aero mode) and I got a score back of 3.0, but that score of 3.0 was a judge of the 'gaming' graphics capability, it had increased the graphics capability of the machine.

Yes, adding RAM will increase your graphics capability, I don't know how it does it (I am not a technician), but it does. I had hoped to be able to upgrade the motherboard from the celeron m to somethng better, but it can't be done, but I don't care now I don't need to.

RAM is cheap now, I paid AUD$50.00 for that 2Gig module, just do it, you will be pleasantly surprised, oh yeah, don't forget to 'defrag' regularly... hey, it's like cleaning your teeth, don't forget to floss Smiley Happy

Sorry about the huge post, but I couldn't contain my enthusiasm for my (now) preferred computer.

I hope this helps

zombiwulf
Punch Card
Views: 3,877
Message 10 of 10

I'll second that!

I 'inherited' two 1G sticks of pc5300 when I upgraded my bosses macbook pro.

I had originally intended to dump Vista for XP - the local shop just didn't have anything in my price range with XP on it.

Now that I've bumped to 2 gig, I'm thinking of keeping Vista.

And with my 3000 N200, I should be able to go to 4g just fine.

(Yes Virginia, 4g is supported even under 32bit XP - and yes the system has access to it - it's just the apps that can't use the final gig - and you wouldn't want them to.)

Next upgrade after that will be the cpu.

It's certainly more expensive to upgrade as opposed to buying what I wanted in the first place, but I didn't have an extra grand laying around and this was cheap to get into.

I plan on doing a cpu upgrade as well, but that will have to wait a couple of months.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors