Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phoenix8030
Paper Tape
Views: 3,280
Message 1 of 4

RAM upgrade for Lenovo G50-30 80G0

Hello EVERYBODY. I need serious help.

I would like to upgrade my PC but becuase i am lacking some important knowledge i am stuck.

my Lenovo G50-30 80G0 PC is a 2GB 1333mHz RAM PC and i want to upgrade my RAM to 8GB 1333mHz becuase it is so slow since i started trying out new and exciting programs but becuase my RAM is low my PC gets stuck a lot once i am running those programs.

Now, my worry is, as i go around looking for an 8GB 1333mHz RAM most of the time i always come across 8GB RAMs with the 1600mHz speed, now, my question is am i able to put this 1600mHz RAM into my PC? will it work? do i have to do a bit or reconfiguration to my system before it can work?

what should i do?

another thing i think i should mention is that my CPU is a 2.16GHz (with two core, as shown in the task manager), might i need to ugrade it too so that the system can funtion perfectrly with the 8GB ram?

and i only have one RAM Slot.

Please help me.

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,251
Message 2 of 4

Re: RAM upgrade for Lenovo G50-30 80G0

Your notebook support the faster memory, in the parts list it shows PC3L-12800S 1600MHz memory as compatible, and there are several vendors listed.

Micron, Samsung and Hynix are just some of the brand names in the list. Just make sure it is DDR3L (Low Power) and you should be fine.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Highlighted
MGhee
Punch Card
Views: 3,244
Message 3 of 4

Hi Phoenix8030

To add to what has already been mentioned, you might look at crucial.com to see what they advise. If you haven't already, get your model's user guide and any other docs (Lenovo support) and get familiar with your particular system. One thing that has been a bit disappointing with my first laptop (Lenovo) is this whitelist, you need to make sure the upgrades you do will work. RAM upgrades go pretty easily just get the right RAM. If it was me I would get the 1333 but if someone like CBH says 1600 will work - it should. I got an extra 8GB stick from Crucial for my G50-45 and it has worked perfectly. I never mix sticks of RAM but decided to try an experiment, I wanted to see if both the Samsung 4GB and the new 8GB Crucial could co-exist - surprise, it has worked fine and I now have 12GBs versus 4GB. Outside of the different brands, the latency, voltage, etc are the same specs, this is why it has worked.

You should be able to simply remove the existing stick and install the new one. You will want to remove your laptop from battery or ac power first before you dive underneath the bottom cover. Youtube is your friend here, I bet you can find videos that will demonstrate - search for lenovo g50-30 80g0 ram upgrade.

I think the cpu is fixed on the motherboard and can't be replaced so this is a no-go, someone like the previous poster CBH can confirm??? I'm not sure if you've created an image of your OS or know how to clone a drive but the best way to see any more real performance boost from your system would be to replace your old hdd with an ssd but this is a bit more complicated - cloning etc.

HTH Smiley Happy

MGhee

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,229
Message 4 of 4

Considering the motherboard listing showing multiple models available in the parts list, I do think the CPU is a "soldered on" part.  This means it is not removable, and will require a systemboard to replace it.

The pictures show two memory slots, easily accessable from the back panel (underside) of the lower deck.  The maintenance manual points out exactly how to remove the one overal panel to access several components including memory sticks.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors