Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yogertdog
Blue Screen Again
Views: 820
Message 1 of 4

Ram card i put in wont work

I have a lenove G50-80, i3, win. 10, 4GB of RAM and i wanted to instal more ram so i took a 2GB RAM card out of an old lenovo V560, i3, win. 7. i put it into my second RAM card slot when i turned my computer on and look at the about page of my settings it said i still had only 4GB of installed RAM not 6GB. is there somthing i have to instal or fix to get my 2GB or does that RAM card not work? please help.

SeniorGuru
Views: 806
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ram card i put in wont work

@yogertdog wrote:

I have a lenove G50-80, i3, win. 10, 4GB of RAM and i wanted to instal more ram so i took a 2GB RAM card out of an old lenovo V560, i3, win. 7. i put it into my second RAM card slot when i turned my computer on and look at the about page of my settings it said i still had only 4GB of installed RAM not 6GB. is there somthing i have to instal or fix to get my 2GB or does that RAM card not work? please help.

The G50-80 takes DDR3L (Low Power) memory running at 1600 speed.  The V560 uses DDR3-1333 memory, without low power specifications, which means it will not work in your G50-80 and that is why you are not seeing the expected 6gb value.

Additionally, unless you are running a 64bit operating system, you will not be able to use more than 4gb regardless of how much is physically installed.  Windows 7 usually is a 32bit version and it can only use about 3.5gb of 4gb as it also has to count (enumerate) any other sources of RAM in the system, including memory found on video cards.

I would advise to check your operating system to make sure it is a 64bit version, and if so then purchase the right memory (DDR3L-1600) from a reputable source.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
yogertdog
Blue Screen Again
Views: 801
Message 3 of 4

thanks for responding so quickly I have a 64 bit system (its win.10 I got the ram card from a win.7 computer) I will order the right card thanks again.
SeniorGuru
Views: 796
Message 4 of 4

You are welcome... I would also suggest downloading your maintenance manual from the support tab... It has a listing of acceptable parts that includes memory, CPU's and disk drives.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors