Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

11-05-2013

London

15 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 1 of 4

Re: Cannot Change Boot Priority To CD-ROM -- G580

2013-11-05, 16:40 PM

Hi, first post to this forum, so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place.

I have a similar problem with a G580.   I've done some searching on this and other forums but so far nothing has helped.

Here's the issue:

1. I had a working Win8 installation, on a SSD.  (wrist-slap 1, yes I know - possibly a bad idea).  This has been working well for months.

2. Something happened - I can't ID what - possibly a virus but I do have Norton installed and not aware of any threats.

3. Windows stopped working.  By that I mean it started failing on some of the registry checks - e.g. starting Excel threw an error, running the Store App also failed etc.  When I did a re-boot, I could not re-start Win, but did get the recovery screens instead.

4. When I tried any of the options, including the Refresh, Restore I got an error complaining the disk was locked.

5. I used the command window do to various things such as

BOOTREC /FIXMBR
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
BOOTREC /SCANOS
BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

Some of these failed due to various complaints about the disk.

6. I do have a working System Restore USB drive and full sys backup, however....

7. I was not able to actually boot from this - possibly due to by BIOS and secure boot settings.

8. I was pretty desperate by now - and (yes slap wrists #2 or more) I ran a CLEAN on the system partition.  Yes, I'm cringing even now as I type.  Anyhow...

9. Now I can not even boot the laptop into recovery mode.

9. So I now have a) a System Restore that in theory works, but b) no way of accessing it.

Bottom Line: how can I make the PC boot from the USB recovery disk - Can't seem to access the BIOS.

From what I have read, I probably need to change secure boot settings - I can't do this since even when I select "Boot Menu" from the recover menu (using the "Recover" button next to the power) it tries to re-boot and never actually gets to a screen that lets me change boot order or secure boot options. 

I also have a Win7 CD if that helps, but also can't boot from this, probably for the same reason as above.  I've now spent 6 hours on this, with no obvious solution ahead.

Please please help if you can.  I know I've made some mistakes, however surely this can't be impossible to fix given I have backups...

Thank you

Jonathan

Answer
Options

4 Posts

11-05-2013

London

15 Signins

66 Page Views

Re: Resoring Win8 in UEFI -- G580

2013-11-17, 20:42 PM

Thanks Catt,

I managed to get my laptop booted in the end.  After a lot of stress.  The main issue is down to SecureBoot which is a good feature but there is very limited support from vendors in cases where there is a hard disk crash - at least from my experience.

What worked - in case it helps someone:

1. had to put in the original factory HDD - even though the System partition had been cleared.  I was lucky/clever enough not to remove the recovery partitions from this.

2. This obviously still did not boot, and neither the one-touch recovery nor basic windows recovery would work.

3. I managed to get hold of a Win8 iso and burn a CD.  The USB did not work with the same image - even if I made it UEFI compatible - possibly because of my UEFI boot settings (not sure but I never managed to boot from USB).

4. Using the Win 8 DVD + the original internal HDD, I managed to get the recovery environment and chose to rebuild the PC.  This could then boot as normal, but it did take quite a while.

Hope that helps someone.

Thanks

Jonathan

Replies(3)
Options

4 Posts

11-05-2013

London

15 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

2013-11-06, 23:41 PM

ok, so I was hoping for at least a slap on the wrists, maybe even a big telling off.  But so far....nothing.  That's probably because my question looks a bit complex, or the right person has not read it yet?

Anyhow...in case this helps: here's an update.

I've got the original HDD (altered) which still has recovery partitions on it intact.  I copied all recovery partitions (and a few I was not sure about) to the SSD (using a working machine of course) and also copied from my system backup the C: drive to a new NFTS partition on the SSD.  I didn't fully expect that to work as I'd expect to hit some UEFI issues, and sure enough, when I now try to boot from the SSD, I get a complaint that the Boot information is missing or corrupt, and I need to insert my Win 8 installation disk....which of course I don't have.

But that's definitely progress.

Now: I don't even mind buying a new Win8 disk if that will help things along (probably my fault for altering things so much initially anyhow) - so long as this will fix this issue.

So my question is: does anyone have an expert opinion on whether I can buy a new Win 8 CD/USB and will that let me restore my SSD to where it needs to?  Or is that also doomed for failure and why?

Again, any help appreciated, even if it involves a bit of telling off....not that I like that sort of thing.

Thanks

Jonathan

Options

73 Posts

08-28-2013

London

218 Signins

1925 Page Views

• Views: 1925
  • Message 3 of 4

2013-11-07, 12:00 PM

Hi jt_1010.

As i have not upgraded to SSD & have not faced your problems i suggest you use the forums search engine.

There are various posts regarding SSD`s & migrating the OS to the new drive as well as what software to use.

I know its not much! But it may point you in the right direction.

Hope you find a solution

Catt

Answer
Options

4 Posts

11-05-2013

London

15 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2013-11-17, 20:42 PM

Thanks Catt,

I managed to get my laptop booted in the end.  After a lot of stress.  The main issue is down to SecureBoot which is a good feature but there is very limited support from vendors in cases where there is a hard disk crash - at least from my experience.

What worked - in case it helps someone:

1. had to put in the original factory HDD - even though the System partition had been cleared.  I was lucky/clever enough not to remove the recovery partitions from this.

2. This obviously still did not boot, and neither the one-touch recovery nor basic windows recovery would work.

3. I managed to get hold of a Win8 iso and burn a CD.  The USB did not work with the same image - even if I made it UEFI compatible - possibly because of my UEFI boot settings (not sure but I never managed to boot from USB).

4. Using the Win 8 DVD + the original internal HDD, I managed to get the recovery environment and chose to rebuild the PC.  This could then boot as normal, but it did take quite a while.

Hope that helps someone.

Thanks

Jonathan

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms