Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BB570
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 967
Message 1 of 6

Repeated Intel RST Crashes on G570

My G570 is about a year and half old. For a couple of months it has crashed going into hibernation. After rebooting, there was a window saying that IAStorIcon.exe wasn't working. About three weeks ago it would not reboot. After running recovery for about 15 hours, it booted. I've had a thread open on Microsoft's forum ever since. I turned off IAStorIcon, but the laptop still crashes. I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology IN1RST08WW5.exe 10.1.5.1001 from the Lenovo servers page, but it is no more stable. I posted a few memory dumps to the thread and one of the respondents sent this data from them:

Most of the memory dumps blame iaStor.sys - a driver for your Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST):

BugCheck 1000009F, {4, 258, fffffa8003d2b040, fffff8000457a3d0}

Probably caused by : iaStor.sys ( iaStor+23b20 )

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

BugCheck C1, {fffff9802e234ee0, 213, 120, 21}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MmFreeSpecialPool+196 )

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

BugCheck 1000009F, {4, 258, fffffa8003d11b50, fffff80000ba2740}

BugCheck 1000009F, {4, 258, fffffa8003d2a660, fffff80000ba2740}

BugCheck 1000009F, {4, 258, fffffa8003ce4660, fffff80004589740}

BugCheck 1000009F, {4, 258, fffffa8003ce1040, fffff80000ba2740}

BugCheck 18, {0, fffffa80191e1040, 2, ffffffffffffffff}

Probably caused by : cng.sys ( cng!SslImportKey+33c )

BugCheck 18, {0, fffffa802a0e2040, 2, ffffffffffffffff}

Probably caused by : cng.sys ( cng!SslImportKey+33c )

BugCheck 1000009F, {4, 258, fffffa8003cf1660, fffff80004589740}

As this driver dates from 2011, I'd strongly suggest that you update it.  Obtain a later version from your PC manufacturer or the Intel Download Center ( http://downloadcenter.intel.com ).  Don't use the Enterprise version (if it's offered to you).

I have run MemTest+ (ran it three times in a row) and Western Digital WinDLG. Neither reports any problems.

I looked @ downloadcenter.intel.com, but they only have enterprise, RAID & server versions. How do I get a more recent set of drivers and/or otherwise get my system stable?

Thanks, Brent

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 934
Message 2 of 6

Re: Repeated Intel RST Crashes on G570

hi BB570,

Welcome to the Forums.

The Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver (iaStor.sys) is a controller used for RAID configurations. If your G570 only have one HDD slot, it will not benefit from the Intel RST driver.

Instead, try to do the following:

1. uninstall Intel RST

2. if you installed Windows in AHCI mode, update the chipset driver found on the Intel Website to update the AHCI Controller.

Spoiler

Sample Chipset Family;

Intel Chipset.jpg

3. Once updated, open Device Manager > System Devices and right click on each of the Intel Seriles Chipset family > choose Properties and ensure the driver date matches the driver of the chipset. If it doesn't match, manually update the driver by pointing to the Intel Chipset folder that you downloaded from the Intel website.

4. When done, reboot the PC and try to put the computer to sleep/hibernate and observe.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

BB570
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 920
Message 3 of 6

I recognize that IAStor is typically a server solution, but the G570 shipped with RST/IAStor running. What do I lose when I turn it off?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 897
Message 4 of 6

hi BB570,

According to this pdf user guide, the Intel RST also has support for AHCI to enable advanced SATA features such as Native Command Queuing and Native Hot Plug.

"Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is a feature supported by AHCI that allows SATA hard drives to accept more than one command at a time. NCQ, when used in conjunction with one or more hard drives that support NCQ, increases storage performance on random workloads by allowing the drive to internally optimize the order of commands."

"Hot plug, also referred to as hot swap, is a feature supported by AHCI that allows SATA hard drives to be removed or inserted while the system is powered on and running. As an example, hot plug may be used to replace a failed hard drive that is in an externally-accessible drive enclosure"

The Hot plug feature may not be enabled on the system as there's no entry available in the BIOS. The NCQ feature may seem good but if it gives you problems, might as well take the whole package out.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

BB570
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 870
Message 5 of 6

I looked at the AHCI driver. It is IAStor.sys. If I uninstall IAStor (RST), won't it stop running? Is anyone from Lenovo reading this? How do I move forward?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 841
Message 6 of 6

hi BB570,

If you uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology, all its components will be deleted and the OS will revert back to the inbox AHCI driver. If there's an updated Intel Chipset Driver installed that contains the AHCI controller, it will revert to that driver instead.

Since the system is unstable with its current setup, try the approach above and observe the PC.

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors