cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jowilhnson
What's DOS?
Views: 316
Message 1 of 3

Safe Mode isn't really safe mode on Lenovo G780?

I'm trying to run some repair tools in Safe Mode to fix a busted Windows Update. Only to discover that safe mode on a Lenovo G780 doesn't list "All" applications in all applications, doesn't have my actual desktop shortcuts on the desktop, doesn't show anything in the download folder. 

Basically all it has is the bloatware the computer came with. Even McAffee, that I purged from the systems a while back, is there installed in safe mode. But not the current AV, nor any other program installed. Not even via command prompt. 

So this leads me to conclude that safe mode on the system is actually some alternate boot image, or strange user account or something. It's basically totally and completely useless. You can play solitare in safe mode, but not run virus or malware scanners, or repair tools. Brilliant! 

Any way to get to the REAL safe mode and use actual tools?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 305
Message 2 of 3

Re: Safe Mode isn't really safe mode on Lenovo G780?

Hi jowilhnson, welcome to the forum. Smiley Happy

Please see these MS pages to know what loads in "safe mode"

Win 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows...

"Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you're using."

Win 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

"If you have a problem with your PC, you can troubleshoot by starting it in safe mode. Safe mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services. If a problem doesn't reappear when you start your PC in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and basic device drivers and services as possible causes. There are three different safe mode options:

• Enable Safe Mode: Starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services.

• Enable Safe Mode with Networking: Starts Windows in safe mode and includes the network drivers and services needed to access the Internet or other computers on your network.

• Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt: Starts Windows in safe mode with a Command Prompt window instead of the usual Windows interface. This option is intended for IT pros and system admins."

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

jowilhnson
What's DOS?
Views: 296
Message 3 of 3

Re: Safe Mode isn't really safe mode on Lenovo G780?

Thanks for the pat, form letter response. 

Thing is, I already know what safe mode is, or at least what it is supposed to be. 

It is NOT supposed to have a completely separate set of programs and files. It should be a pared down version of your Windows installation, with extra services and drives disabled. 

What I'm getting is like some default install, with nothing but basic windows applications and lenovos default bloatware installed. Things that I've uninstalled in Windows are still installed in safe mode... that's not right. 

Things that should exist, like the SoftwareDistribution folder for WIndows Update, don't exist, probably because it's not created until Windows Update is run.. and this "safe mode" is a system that has never had it run. All of the shortcuts on the desktop are Lenovo Solutions, Lenovo Telephone, OneKey Recovery Lenovo YouCam, Lenovo EE Boot Optimizer. None of which are shortcuts on the normal desktop. Safe mode should show the same desktop, yes, with safe mode in the corner, but not a completely different desktop. 

So obviously this safe mode isn't a normal safe mode. I'd like to know how to get to the actual safe mode, I'm guessing this safe mode is actually booting off the OEM partitions or some other weird Lenovo boot image?

Top Kudoed Authors