BG

6 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 1 of 8

Some usb devices are working - some are not on G500

2017-10-03, 10:51 AM

Hi there!

Recently i am experiencing some strange problems with my computer.

I own a Lenovo G500 20236 with intel pentium 2030m processor. 

An year ago the usb on the right side of my laptop, next to the charging port, stopped working at all. I've replaced the port with new one without any success, but decided that i can go one without one of the ports.

Some weeks ago my other 2 usb ports stopped working properly. I am able to use usb mouse/keyboard and i am using an usb audio card, but when i put an usb drive there is an error that the device is not being recognized. In device manager i see that error: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". Simillar problems i am having when i try to connect my phone or my usb microphone to the usb ports. 

I've checked all the topics here and on other forums suggesting to reinstall usb devices from device manager. I did that without any success. I also tried to reset my computer, checked the bios settings and so on. Nothing helped. I was using windows 8.1 but also tried with windows 10 - same error. I've installed another OS (Remix OS) to see if there was going to be a problem with the usb ports but again - only the mouse was working properly. 

So far i am thinking that may be i have to replace the motherboard (or the whole computer with a new one), but i want to be sure before doing that. Is there any other option i am missing? All the Lenovo utility software that i've found on the support page are saying i have no problems with my hardware. I updated all the drivers... What else can i try?

Thank you!

Options

2352 Posts

11-07-2014

US

1503 Signins

23941 Page Views

• Views: 23941
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Some usb devices are working - some are not on G500

2017-10-03, 22:10 PM
This sounds like a cascading failure of the USB hardware, one that presents when a device is inserted that requires a particular current to work properly.

On the off chance that it was just a USB device failure did you try using them in a known working computer?

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Options

4 Posts

10-03-2017

BG

6 Signins

32 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2017-10-04, 7:03 AM

I have tried all the devices - usb drives, external HDD, usb sound card, usb mic on 2 different devices - all working perfectly without any errors. So i guess i am going to search for a new motherboard.

Options

2953 Posts

02-22-2017

GB

1083 Signins

26243 Page Views

• Views: 26243
  • Message 4 of 8

2017-10-04, 9:05 AM

Try a static discharge for this, it may help to resolve the issue or at least get rid of any built up static on the motherboard.

(If the battery is internal, please just skip the remove/replace battery steps.)
1. Turn the unit off
2. Remove the battery and the Mains adapter
3. Press and hold the front power button for 30 seconds
4. Replace the battery and the Mains adapter
5. Turn the unit on as normal

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

==================================================================================
Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Pesszimistának lenni a legjobb, vagy igazad van, vagy kellemesen meglepődsz...
Options

4 Posts

10-03-2017

BG

6 Signins

32 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2017-10-04, 9:30 AM
Unfortunately i've tried that but without any success. I've tried it again now but there is still no effect.
Options

4297 Posts

11-18-2012

US

9979 Signins

610511 Page Views

• Views: 610511
  • Message 6 of 8

2017-10-04, 14:26 PM

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Shantararam !

You might take the reset a step further and do a hard reset of the CMOS if you haven't done so.  Remove the main battery and the motherboard battery.  Then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.  That will discharge all residual electricity on the motherboard and clear the CMOS which might resolve your issue.  The motherboard battery is a round coin cell battery that plugs into the motherboard on the end opposite the USB ports.  It should be encased in black vinyl and will have a red and black wire coming out of it.  Here is your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual for your reference....

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g400g500g405g505g410g510_hmm.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Options

4 Posts

10-03-2017

BG

6 Signins

32 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2017-10-04, 14:42 PM
I've tried that but again - nothing changed.
Options

2352 Posts

11-07-2014

US

1503 Signins

23941 Page Views

• Views: 23941
  • Message 8 of 8

2017-10-05, 0:04 AM
At this point, it seems like a hardware problem with the USB ports, so a replacement motherboard may be the only option.

This can be a daunting task on a notebook computer, so tread carefully, take pictures and keep parts / screws sorted out so you can easily return them to the correct locations.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save