cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luizhcgoncalves
Paper Tape
Views: 1,030
Message 1 of 6

Spilled coffee on my laptop, and it's back to life but...

Alright, first things first:

- It's a G40-80, model 80JE

- Windows 10 Home Single Language 1803

- Intel i5-5200u

- Qualcomm AR956x Wireless Adapter

So, here we go: I spilled coffee all over my laptop. I was using it and having some coffee (no sugar, no sweetener, nothing at all, just coffee) and the glass fell on my keyboard. I turned it off, put it over another chair and left it there with no battery for 2 or 3 hours. Enough time to make it stop leaking coffee (and to leave a mark on that poor chair). Back at home, I unmounted it: keyboard, cooler, and top cover all apart, only the body (with motherboard and screen left untouched. Chips removed (wireless adapter, SSD and Ram memories). All clean up, left all pieces inside my car during the following day to dry what was left and I coudn't clean myself.

Back at the office, all things put together again, the computer turned on (yay!), but after a minute or two, the screen went crazy, so I unmounted it again to find that the thermal past was long gone. Bought a new one, applied and finally the computer got up and started running. Except for...

Yeah, here came the tragedy, I checked the Event Log and it's all crazy there. In a short way: processor speed is limited (error 37), I can't connect to any wireless internet conection (both WiFi and Bluetooth return errors, I'm using now a USB Thetering) and others things that I really dislike. But at least computer is on (Yay!) and I'm using it right now (Yay!)

But I really need help from now on... I have just fully restored Windows, and all these nightmares are still there, so I need to help to fix it. Currently, I've no antivirus (yet, as I have Norton license), and nothing installed on the computer.

So... help?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,024
Message 2 of 6

Re: Spilled coffee on my laptop, and it's back to life but...

Coffee is really bad - both acidic and conductive.  You can try to take it apart and clean with pure alcohol, but I doubt you will be successful.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
luizhcgoncalves
Paper Tape
Views: 1,021
Message 3 of 6

Got it. But, as I said, computer is running, apparently, normal. It finds my home's WiFi, it connects to my Bluetooth Speaker, and it connects to the internet over USB Tethering. But it does not connect to those Wifi it finds and nor connect to a Bluetooth Tethering, as it seems a problem with DHCP and getting informations about the network.

In fact, it did once, when if first started earlier. Then I left it home to see if it would be still working when I got back from work, and it did, but the connection was long gone and even when it connects to the WiFi, it can't get internet access. I tried ipconfig /release and /renew on CMD with adm level, but that was unsuccessful, and returned an error.

I tried updating all drives, but none was out of date.

Will try the alcohol tomorrow though, as I think maybe some contacts are still high on caffeine.

Highlighted
luizhcgoncalves
Paper Tape
Views: 983
Message 4 of 6

Update: After some headaches and a night awaken, I've got to fix pretty much everything. Now just some minor issues, but all wireles connections are back and everything seems fine. Thanks!
SeniorGuru
Views: 969
Message 5 of 6

Here is the rub - as previously mentioned coffee is acidic, it will cause issues both immediate and long term.

I would strongly advise to back up your data daily, and start looking for a replacement notebook computer. It is only a matter of time before you will face "Murphy's Law" on this one.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
luizhcgoncalves
Paper Tape
Views: 962
Message 6 of 6

All my data is cloud storage. My notebook currently is running on a 128GB SSD, which is all I need. Yet, everyday I connect an External HDD for data backup, and sometimes I connect the old HDD which came in the notebook for another backup of everything that is on the cloud. So... It was the least of my worries Smiley Happy but yet, I'll be looking a new notebook soon as I'm aware that this one might not last much more.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors