Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starfishtwo
What's DOS?
Views: 9,037
Message 1 of 13

System thinks CTRL key is pressed when it isn't

Just bought a new Lenovo G770 5 days ago.  Running Win7 64bit.  The system repeatedly thinks the CTRL key is being pressed when it isn't.  In the middle of typing a sentence, suddenly every letter I type performs the associated ctrl key action.  The only remedy is a complete reboot (and loss of data in the process).  I have googled this problem and it seems pretty common, but all I've found are a lot of suggestions (some of them too technical) and no clear solutions.  Some of the non-useful suggestions I've gotten already:

"Wedge the CTRL key up" ~ it is not physically stuck; I have not even touched the key when this happens.  If the key were simply physically stuck, a reboot would not solve the problem.

"Clean your keyboard" ~ the keyboard is not dirty; it's 5 days old.

"Press some combination of keys, e.g. ctrl-alt-alt-ctrl-shift" ~ even if this were to work, I'm unwilling to have to do this every 15 minutes for the entire life of my laptop.

"Download new drivers from your vendor" ~ the Lenovo website is so confusing, I cannot tell what, if any, drivers I should download. 

"It's a USB/mouse issue" ~ I am using an external mouse rather than the touchpad, but this has only happened while I was in the middle of typing, not using the mouse.  One thing that did ring bells with this suggestion:  Several times when this ctrl key thing happened, a few moments before, the screen had suddenly jumped down to the bottom of the page, leading me to believe I had touched the touchpad with my palm.  Soon after, the ctrl key seemed stuck.

Also, I do not have sticky keys enabled.

I have been struggling with this for 2 days now, and it renders the laptop virtually unusable for my purposes.  I'm hoping someone here can solve this problem for me, because I really don't want to have to return this computer.

dudegonemad
What's DOS?
Views: 8,770
Message 2 of 13

Re: System thinks CTRL key is pressed when it isn't

I have the same issue
Had this issue on a Lenovo T400 and got a new T420s, and have the exactly same issue.

I've been researching this topic for some time and still no answer. If you find a solution please let me know as well!!
musbay
Paper Tape
Views: 8,654
Message 3 of 13

I found a solution - i hope it works on your notebook: just kill syntpenh.exe Smiley Happy

yotam
What's DOS?
Views: 8,443
Message 4 of 13

it's not a solution either.. it cancels all the ultranav features. do you have a better solution?

lenovo-is-crap
What's DOS?
Views: 8,264
Message 5 of 13

Been having this problem for a while and have researched it came up with nothing, until now - let me know if it works . . . .

press Fn+F6 to turn off the touchpad and see if you can type normal now

also if you see this LENOVO - I have the G770 and it was sold to me as a 'GAMING LAPTOP' - where the hell is my (UP TO DATE) drivers for the graphics card?

to anyone who has bought 1 recently take it back ASAP - go to another company that cares about their customers

Rant over

betzle
What's DOS?
Views: 8,199
Message 6 of 13

This is happening to me with a new Lenovo G580 also. I thought turning the touchpad off would help, and it does to some extent, but this also happens when I have turned it off. I have owned the computer for 8 days. I wish there was a good solution, because I plan to use the computer for note taking and data analysis and this will be a major issue if it continues. 

JullianJia
What's DOS?
Views: 3,032
Message 7 of 13

Hello! Has your issue with the CTRL key been solved? Kindly share the solution/s. I have been having this issue with a Lenovo Ideapad 320 IKB and I do not know how to resolve it. 

oaca
Paper Tape
Views: 2,284
Message 8 of 13

I have a P51 with the same problem.  P51 is in docking station with wired external keyboard.  Any remedies?

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,270
Message 9 of 13

The issue seems to stem from the Touchpad control module, or drivers. I have a G580 with the Elan touchpad and it does not have the problem after I replaced the Lenovo drivers with a generic driver, but I loose advanced touch pad options (that I never used) by so doing.

If you are using Windows 8 or later, use the Windows driver for the touchpad, rather than the synaptics or elan one.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
oaca
Paper Tape
Views: 2,143
Message 10 of 13

Thank you CBHenricks.  I do have the synaptics driver installed.  I tried to uninstall it but upon restart the touchpad did not work, and once windows 10 started up, it reinstalled the synaptics driver.  I've tried to find how to change the driver to a windows driver, but cannot seem to find out how to do it.  Is there a link you can send me?  Much appreciated!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors