Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pilif12p
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,296
Message 1 of 4

Unauthorized network card on G550

I got an Intel 6230 Wireless card today, replaced the factory card, and booted my computer to be greeted with a message saying "Unauthorized network card". I removed it, cleared the supervisor password on my BIOS, and rebooted with it plugged in. Same message.

Google time! Found that Lenovo does this to a lot of their laptops, and whitelists, not blacklists, a few cards. Can somebody please explain if it's possible to override it, or why this "feature" is here in the first place? To protect from... malicious wireless cards?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,284
Message 2 of 4

Re: Unauthorized network card on G550

Hi Pilif12p,

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card

Lenovo, as well as most of the major players match the card with the antennas to comply with FCC regulations regarding interference.  

The card has to be a Lenovo branded card, a generic one won't work, (as you found out). 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-G450-G550-Intel-5300-Wireless-N-Card-/110608336574?pt=LH_Def...

Your machine will take an Intel 5300 as long as you have the three antennas for it. Again, it has to be a Lenovo branded card.

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Pilif12p
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,275
Message 3 of 4

So there's no way to override it without playing with BIOS?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,267
Message 4 of 4

Sometimes you can tape off pin 20 on the card and get the bios to accept it.

Most of the time that doesn't work.

Dave 

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors