07-24-2017 08:45 AM
Hi, I have a B590, Model: 20206. It has Intel Pentium 2020M 2.4 Ghz CPU, 4 Gb of RAM (1 stick), and a HDD hard drive.
1. I understand I can upgrade the CPU to Intel I5-2520M. However, in one of the previous posts, it was mentioned that:
"1. Ensure that you purchase the CPU with the Lenovo FRU # on the box.
2. The significant increase between the stock CPU and the Intel I5-2520M is small. If the upgrade cost of the new CPU is minimal then this would be a good investment in speeding up the machine. "
What does Lenovo FRU # mean? Does it have to be a specific number or can any Lenovo FRU work? What if I don't get one with Lenovo FRU?
Also, how much boost in performance (in percentage) can I expect by upgrading the CPU?
2. For RAM, my current model uses 1 stick of 4Gb ram, so I can add another stick for 8 Gb total right? I understand the following are the needed specs: PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM SO-DIMM 204-pin. However, I'm not sure what voltage/speed (Mhz) I should get. I cannot find the voltage or Mhz info for my current RAM. Please advise.
3. For SSD, I believe any 2.5' SSD with 7mm thickness would work right?
07-24-2017 02:55 PM
The main reason I asked is that I don't understand why the FRU for the CPU has to match Lenovo's FRU (102001067)
I can find a lot of i5 2520M CPU on Ebay, but it's hard to find one with the right FRU.
What would happen if I just buy a generic i5 CPU and try it?
07-24-2017 03:17 PM
Welcome to the Community Forums.
1. FRU is Field Replaceable Unit (parts that advised to require technical expertise to handle).
FRU part numbers (example on page 85) are assigned by the specific manufacturer as certified OEM tested product.
It assures that the part you are ordering is compatible with the manufacturer specifications and BIOS.
It does not, however, limit you to use non-FRU parts with the similar specification but cannot guarantee its compatibility.
"The i5 2320m offers an estimated 34% performance gain over your current CPU. It has HyperThreading, Virtulization support and advanced graphics performance codes that will make for a notable perfomance boost, but may not overcome the cost of the part."
Getting back to the FRU list now for the memory on page 84 item 18 shows different compatible RAM where you can search using the FRU number or better yet specific manufacturer number. Example: FRU # 11200393 with Manufacturer # Ramaxel RMT3160ED58E9W-1600 would allow you to research the specifications similar to this showing JEDEC Standard with 1.5 V (±0.075 V) power supply , Speed 1600 data transfer rates: PC3-12800.
Best to match with what you currently have by using your serial number here on the parts lookup page too.
3. No specific SATA SSD FRU recommended as this upgrade is not offered initially on the model.
Here you may want to check with the resellers similar to this for compatibility and if it is verified to work for the model.
With non FRU parts, when purchasing with third party resellers, it is best that you also check the return options just in case.
Hope this help answer your query.