Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

03-09-2014

United States of America

2 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 1 of 4

Where can I obtain a product key for the Windows 8 that came pre-installed on my G710?

2014-03-09, 0:26 AM

My G710 laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8, which I immediately removed and downgraded to Windows 7.  I don't like Windows 8, and also wanted to get rid of all the extra garbage and trial software that came pre-loaded on the laptop, as well as the multiple partitions and hidden/locked partitions.  However, I have realized that there is no product key anywhere on the laptop, or on any documentation I received, and the product key that was listed in Control Panel before I downgraded to Windows 7 was a manufacturer's key, which they often use to load Windows, but which I cannot use if I should choose to reinstall Windows myself.  So all that being said, does anyone know where I can obtain a product key?  Tech support was no help, and claimed that I could either a) use the OneKey Recovery key (not possible as I removed all existing partitions and wiped the drive prior to installing Windows 7), or b) PAY for a Recovery Disc from Lenovo, which hardly seems fair, for me to pay for something that I already acquired ownership for when I bought the laptop.

Answer
Options

7178 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29281 Signins

1677898 Page Views

• Views: 1677898

Re: Where can I obtain a product key for the Windows 8 that came pre-installed on my G710?

2014-03-09, 2:12 AM

Good evening and welcome to the community.

Your Windows 8 license key is embedded in your UEFI (BIOS). This is the MS OEM Activation (OA3) process. Should you choose to clean-install Windows 8, it will pick up and use that embedded key as long as the disk matches the same version - Standard or Pro - whichever came on your machine.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

7178 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29281 Signins

1677898 Page Views

• Views: 1677898
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Where can I obtain a product key for the Windows 8 that came pre-installed on my G710?

2014-03-09, 2:12 AM

Good evening and welcome to the community.

Your Windows 8 license key is embedded in your UEFI (BIOS). This is the MS OEM Activation (OA3) process. Should you choose to clean-install Windows 8, it will pick up and use that embedded key as long as the disk matches the same version - Standard or Pro - whichever came on your machine.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

6 Posts

03-09-2014

United States of America

2 Signins

57 Page Views

• Views: 57
  • Message 3 of 4

2014-03-12, 14:28 PM

Hmmm... ok.  I'm surprised the support people I talked to didn't mention that.  They seemed to be under the impression that if I erased/changed my partitions, which prevents the OneKey Recovery system from recovering your computer, that I was out of luck.  I am a little disappointed that my copy of Windows 8 can only be used on this system, but if I am able to use the key that is somehow embedded on this machine to reinstall Windows 8 on this machine, then that is better than it being completely lost I guess.

Options

74 Posts

05-28-2014

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

93 Signins

973 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 973
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-05-28, 21:18 PM

You can use magicjellybean to retrieve the product key :)

Thanks for any help in advance, Pete :)
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms