Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akr44
Paper Tape
Views: 684
Message 1 of 10

Where's my windows 7 disc?

I bought a g460 last year and I thought it was strange that it didn't come with a windows 7 installation disk. Now, I'm wanting to replace my hard drive and I need a windows 7 disc to install it on the new hard drive. Now what?

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 679
Message 2 of 10

Re: Where's my windows 7 disc?

Hello,

You can download a legitimate Windows 7 ISO and use it for the reinstall. Just make sure you download the correct version that matches your license (and language). See here:  Download Windows 7 ISOs

Good luck!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 668
Message 3 of 10

Or, you can burn yourself a set of recovery discs from Rescue and Recovery, and use those to reinstall the OS.

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
akr44
Paper Tape
Views: 651
Message 4 of 10

Awesome. Thank you, guys.
pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 648
Message 5 of 10

You are quite welcome!

akr44
Paper Tape
Views: 645
Message 6 of 10

Actually, looking at this, I'm not sure if this will work. I don't think you can install windows onto a new hard drive without an installation cd. You can use the recovery disk to reinstall windows onto your current hard drive, but for an actual clean install, you need the disc. And that download from the site is 3 gigabytes, which would mean I'd have to leave my computer on for 25 hours straight and hope it doesn't screw up the download at some point and have to start all over. Why doesn't Lenovo ship installation discs with their laptops? Can I be sent one for free?
akr44
Paper Tape
Views: 641
Message 7 of 10

The recovery thing on my computer doesn't even work. It just gives me 20 messages about the same error when I go into the recovery area. "The backup application could not start due to an internal execution failed (0x800800005).
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 625
Message 8 of 10

If the "recovery thing" was working, you could burn a full set of factory recovery media.  With that you can install to a new hard drive.  It would be configured exactly as your original drive was from the factory - other than the drive/partiton sizes.

The same recovery thing can make a full as- running backup to an external drive that you can then use to restore to a new drive.  That way you end up with the new drive containing your "as used" system - not a plain unused factory configuration.

Back to the broken "recovery thing": is you system still under warranty?  Lenovo will often provide factory media at no charge if the provided recovery media burning software has failed.  Maybe...  I can't speak for them, and sometimes it seems like free vs. non-free media depends on what the support tech had for breakfast.

Worth a call, maybe.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

orion9727
Token Ring
Views: 607
Message 9 of 10

key words bieng reinstall.
new hd means you need a iso.
make a iso you need a iso maker.
burn to usb key you need a 4 gig key no smaller no larger exact!!!!!!!
and the windows 7 usb tool-download from ms it free.
or the hp tool that make it bootable and you can drag and drop a non iso.
usb key is fat faster then a disc as a disc is ata 66 speed (yea even if it sata) usb time to install is 15 mins maby quicker if ur on a super high speed usb key or usb3.
i not mess with the esata combo port as it might trip up the install.
you can even make a premade usb install bootable image right on the hard drive it self.
some guys do this with backup drives -make them bootable outside of the pc but that be slow in my option bt doing right on your hard drive your going to put in means super duper speed as it drive on drive full throttle sata 2 or 3.
krisstewart
What's DOS?
Views: 599
Message 10 of 10

Maybe you can download and use a trial version of Windows 7.

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors