Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rocmail520
Paper Tape
Views: 508
Message 1 of 6

Why does Lenovo G505S does not power up on AC supply

Why does Lenovo G505S does not power up on AC supply?

why it is dependent on battery ?

or how do I confirm that AC adapter is faulty or charging point is faulty if I do not have any other Lenovo product ?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 474
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why does Lenovo G505S does not power up on AC supply

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing.  A simple way to check the power adapter / charger is with the use of a voltmeter.  The center pin in the plug that plugs into the laptop should be outputting 20 volts.  If you don't have a voltmeter then see if a local computer repair center will check it for you.  If the adapter / charger isn't outputting 20 volts then it is defective and needs to be replaced.

Another thing you should try doing is a reset.  This will help rule out if there are any conflicts which are causing the problem.  To do a reset, just do this.....

1. Shut down Windows and unplug the charger / adapter.
2. Remove the battery. (If removable)
3. Press and hold the Power Button for 15 seconds.
4. Re-install the battery, plug in the charger / adapter if needed and power up the system to see if the problem was resolved.

If the above procedure didn't work then try removing the battery and then see if the laptop will power up with just the adapter / charger.

I assume that your phrase "charging point" is referring to the charging port or DC-In port.  Unless this is showing some visible damage such as a broken part or the plug fits loosely, it is difficult to determine whether it is at fault.  Further inspection would be best performed by a repair center.  If your warranty is still active then I recommend you contact Lenovo Support for additional warranty assistance.

Lenovo Support - India

English and Hindi
(Primary) 1800-419-7555 (Tata) (Secondary)
1800-3000-5366 (Reliance)
Email support: http://support.lenovo.com/in/hi/emailsupport
Schedule a Callback for faster support
10:00 - 19:00 Monday - Saturday Except Holidays

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Rocmail520
Paper Tape
Views: 448
Message 3 of 6

The charger and charging port are fine and working.

my concern is why does it need battery to power up ? Why can't it just power up on direct supply ?

i did ordered a new battery but what is it that stops it from booting up on direct supply?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 443
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for clarifying your issue. 

I'm not an owner of your model, but laptops rely on the battery for extra power when the system draws more power than adapter / charger is outputting.  With your model, I suspect is the battery must be an integral part of the power circuit and is required to be in place for powering up the laptop. 

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Rocmail520
Paper Tape
Views: 427
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for your support.

Now the situation has become more worse.

New battery worked for a while but now when plugged in charging it does not charge nor the system boots up.

the only thing I see is orange flashing light on the battery indicator when I press Power up right after plugging the charger or if I wait for a minute or two then if I Power up then it shows orange flashing light on the battery indicator along with white flashing light on direct suppy indicator and they keeps flashing till only orange light continues .

Does this signifies that power supply has an issue ? I feel so

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 424
Message 6 of 6

According to your model's User Guide on page #11,  if the orange light is blinking slowly this indicates that that battery is being charged.  If the orange light is blinking rapidly this indicates a problem with the battery.  If the light is rapid, did you get a battery from Lenovo or from another source like eBay or Amazon?  If from another source, did the seller guarantee compatibility along with a guarantee for replacement if the one shipped was defective?

Here is a link to your model's guide for your reference.....

https://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/g410_g510_ug_en.pdf

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors