02-05-2013 04:34 PM
I just did a fresh install of Windows 8 on my Lenovo G475 and everything works fine but my wifi connection.
This is what I have done so far:
- Installed Windows 8 and kept the laptop connected to the Internet via the ethernet card (to make sure all the installation process went smoothly).
- Updated Windows 8 via Windows Update.
- Downloaded missing drivers for Windows 8. They were: Realtek Card Reader Driver, Lenovo Energy Management and Wireless LAN driver.
- Installed all of them with administrator privileges and all of them went fine but the wireless LAN driver.
- At this point, Device Manager didn't show any device with a "?" so I assumed everything was fine.
- But no, because no wifi interface showed up in the device manager window.
- If i change the position of the wireless physical switch (at the front of my laptop, on my left), the bluetooth device goes off and on in the device manager window. But in no case, any wifi interface appeared / dissappeared.
- I also typed fn+f5 several times to toggle airplane on/off but did not help at all.
- Then I installed Windows 7 driver for the wireless card but didn't work either.
- I revised the BIOS and the wifi interface is activated.
It looks like the wifi component of the wireless card is hidden/undetected to Windows 8 (bluetooth works fine. I assume both wifi+bluetooth belongs to the same card).
Solved! Go to Solution.
02-05-2013 05:27 PM
Hello and welcome,
I don't think it would explain the missing dev manager device, but have a look at the control described below. Is there a wifi slider there?
Bring up Settings charm. At the bottom it says "Change PC Settings". That looks like the title of the settings above (to me) but it's a link. Click it. Then click "wireless" on the left.
The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.
The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog
02-07-2013 11:29 AM
Thanks for your help.
Now it's working. It was a weird solution:
My son took this laptop to his school and there it worked without any problems (and with no ethernet cable connected at all). He connected to an open wireless network. in my house I have a WEP wireless connection. Now it's working on both nets.
I´m not sure how it was fixed:
Does the ethernet cable disabled the wireless card (only wifi functionality)? as far as I remember, when I was trouble shooting I did some testing with no ethernet cable connected and rebooted the machine several times...
Maybe Windows 8 takes its time to switch from wired connection to a wireless connection?
09-11-2014 09:56 PM