Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cesar2013
What's DOS?
Views: 3,205
Message 1 of 4

Wifi interface is not being recognized on my g475 with Windows 8

Hi,

I just did a fresh install of Windows 8 on my Lenovo G475 and everything works fine but my wifi connection.

This is what I have done so far:

I...

- Installed Windows 8 and kept the laptop connected to the Internet via the ethernet card (to make sure all the installation process went smoothly).

- Updated Windows 8 via Windows Update.

- Downloaded missing drivers for Windows 8. They were: Realtek Card Reader Driver, Lenovo Energy Management and Wireless LAN driver.

- Installed all of them with administrator privileges and all of them went fine but the wireless LAN driver.

- At this point, Device Manager didn't show any device with a "?" so I assumed everything was fine.

- But no, because no wifi interface showed up in the device manager window.

- If i change the position of the wireless physical switch (at the front of my laptop, on my left), the bluetooth device goes off and on in the device manager window. But in no case, any wifi interface appeared / dissappeared.

- I also typed fn+f5 several times to toggle airplane on/off but did not help at all.

- Then I installed Windows 7 driver for the wireless card but didn't work either.

- I revised the BIOS and the wifi interface is activated.

It looks like the wifi component of the wireless card is hidden/undetected to Windows 8 (bluetooth works fine. I assume both wifi+bluetooth belongs to the same card).

Any ideas?

Please help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,195
Message 2 of 4

Re: Wifi interface is not being recognized on my g475 with Windows 8

Hello and welcome,

I don't think it would explain the missing dev manager device, but have a look at the control described below.  Is there a wifi slider there?

Bring up Settings charm. At the bottom it says "Change PC Settings". That looks like the title of the settings above (to me) but it's a link. Click it. Then click "wireless" on the left.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Highlighted
Cesar2013
What's DOS?
Views: 3,180
Message 3 of 4

Re: Wifi interface is not being recognized on my g475 with Windows 8

Thanks for your help.

Now it's working. It was a weird solution:

My son took this laptop to his school and there it worked without any problems (and with no ethernet cable connected at all). He connected to an open wireless network. in my house I have a WEP wireless connection. Now it's working on both nets.

I´m not sure how it was fixed:

Does the ethernet cable disabled the wireless card (only wifi functionality)? as far as I remember, when I was trouble shooting I did some testing with no ethernet cable connected and rebooted the machine several times...

Maybe Windows 8 takes its time to switch from wired connection to a wireless connection?

Best regards,

Cesar

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,145
Message 4 of 4
Moved:

wifi adpater problem windows7 `32 bit g475

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors