Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CMil23
Paper Tape
Views: 12,288
Message 1 of 3

Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death Loop

I have a Lenovo G580. It started with Windows 8, and then updated to Windows 10. It was running fine for awhile, but now when I start up my Lenovo the blue screen appears saying "system thread exception not handled." It attempts to restart and repair, but then comes back to the blue screen again.

I have tried hitting F8 at start up, but nothing happens.

Unfortunately I don't have a back up of my files and I can't re-image my Lenovo.

I downloaded Windows 10 files onto a USB drive to re-install Windows, but was only able to get to step 2 before getting an error message saying the set-up files were incompatible with the the drive.

So, should I try downloading Windows 8.1 to re-install since my Lenovo originally came with Windows 8? Any other thoughts or suggestions?   Will this also take care of the Windows Product Key, as I do not have that either?

I'm just trying re-install the factory settings so that my computer is usable again. Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,265
Message 2 of 3

Re: Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death Loop

best guess is a problem with memory or the disk drive.  You need to find some sort of bootable diagnostic disk.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SeniorGuru
Views: 12,233
Message 3 of 3

Re: Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death Loop

It sounds like a hard disk error to me,  but may mean there is an issue with the system memory as well.  Two things to try,

1.  Remove / Replace system memory (take out and put back in).

2.  Try a "live DVD" of Linux OS (Mint, Fedora or OpenSuSE) and use it to check on the hard disk.

If you can find a Linux Magazine at your local bookstore they usually have a DVD inside that has multiple free Linux Distributions and aslo diagnostics software.  Running the Linux OS from DVD does not install anything on the hard drive, lets you check your disk, copy files and more without affecting the hard disk in any way.

Also - when you have the computer working again, you may want to purchase "Recovery Disks" from Lenovo Support, that will allow you to replace the factory image to your new hard disk drive.  If that installs Windows 8.1 you need to download the Windows 10 upgrade ISO as soon as possible, it will not be free much longer.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors