cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ionut14
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,048
Message 1 of 7

Windows 8.1 Lenovo B590 Bluetooth problem.

Hello forum,

I have sort of a bizare problem, a week ago I bought an mSATA SSD and I upgraded my laptop (Lenovo B590 20208) to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 and I still have the Windows 7 on the HDD. Since I upgraded I lost the bluetooth function, it doesn`t appear in PC Settings from the charm menu, in Device Manager it isn`t showing up even as an "Unknown Device". I tried to install the same drivers that I have on Windows 7 that I know that work and I had no luck. I even tried booting up Windows 7 to see if Bluetooth still works there and it does (as expected... I haven`t done any modification to the laptop either than the SSD) . I tried services.msc and the Bluetooth services and Bluetooth support services are both up and running. Fn+F5 doesn`t work. Tried a bunch of older drivers, both Intel and Broadcom, but I know for sure that I have a Intel Centorino Bluetooth Card. If someone have any ideas or have encountered this problem, please help me to solve this problem. 

Thanks.

P.S. If you need any more information don`t be afraid to ask.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,969
Message 2 of 7

Re: Windows 8.1 Lenovo B590 Bluetooth problem.

hi Ionut14

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Can you try the following:

1. In the Device Manager, click View > Show hidden devices and check if the Bluetooth device is being listed.

Link to picture

Link to picture

2. If the bluetooth device shows up under the Device Manager but it's grayed out then it's possible that the drivers aren't installed. Try to:

a. Go to Control Panel > Programs and uninstall the Bluetooth driver/software (reboot if necessary)

b. After the reboot, download and install the Bluetooth Driver Installer

-  this will identify the type of Bluetooth Device installed on the system (eg. Qualcom Atheros, Intel, etc.) and it will install a generic Bluetooth driver. If successful, the Bluetooth device and its components should now appear normally under the Device Manager. From here, try to pair a Bluetooth device and observe.

If none of the above steps work:

3. Install the Lenovo Energy Management v1.67.04.05 (reboot if necessary) then press Fn+F5. If a menu comes up, ensure that both the Wireless and Bluetooth's current status is set to ON.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

b590
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,791
Message 3 of 7

Hi neokenchi,

I have EXACTLY the same problem as Ionut14 above. Unfortunately none of your suggestions worked for me in either Win7 64bit or Win8.1 64bit. I have Intel Centrino Bluetooth Card within Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 adapter. It looks that 64bit Windows versions installed on SSD (rather than HDD) do not like "Intel PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth Technology recommended by Lenovo"
here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds031754
and:
here http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds029789

For some strange (and frustrating!) reason, the install process does not fully complete, the installation progress bar reaches the end, hangs there indefinitely with the mouse cursor busy, no  confirmation whatsoever such as "installation successful", although it prompts you to restart computer when you eventually click Next in the second installation window.

Interestingly enough, I was unable to follow Intel's advice: "install Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology before installing Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software"

see: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-032541.htm

simply because the WiFi driver for Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 is being installed by Windows automatically at installation. If you attempt to uninstall it, it gets re-installed instantly and automatically...

Ionut14
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,744
Message 4 of 7

Hello!

So after much frustration I just let it go for some time and now I reinstalled Windows 8.1 Pro, same disc and everything and now the Bluetooth works, but I can`t acces Bluetooth LE stuff... Like on Windows 7 I had a thing called "Play Music" over bluetooth and used that to Play Music from my phone on the laptop and now I did every update and it still doesn`t work... Another thing I have... I can`t get the Synaptics Driver installed... It says that I don`t have a Synaptics TouchPad... But obviousley I have because that is what I use on Windows 7... If someone can help with this problem I would be very thankful!

b590
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,726
Message 5 of 7

Hi Ionut14,

My bluetooth works too! Smiley Happy

I guess the problems I described above were because for some reason, when fitting in my eSATA SSD, I thought the BIOS/Startup option "UEFI/Legacy Boot" needs to be "UEFI only", which apparently wasn't a good idea, because the moment I put, under "Restart", the "OS Optimised Defaults" to Disabled, then OK-ed "Load Setup Defaults" (which sets "UEFI/Legacy Boot" to "Both", with "Legacy first") everything went fine, and the Bluetooth installation (using the latest Bluetooth drivers from Intel site, not Lenovo's) went smoothly.

I even have now the "LE" (Low Energy?) Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator shown in Device Manager, though I haven't tested it as I am not sure what for it is there, lol.

Ionut14
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,723
Message 6 of 7

Hello!

So I see that you didn`t quite get what I said about Bluetooth "services"... Thank God I still have a install of windows 7 on my HDD so I got these photos... Look this is what I see under services for my phone on Bluetooth on:

Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1.JPG

and on Windows 7 Windows 7.JPG

... See the difference? I may be one of the small people who use that function but I quite like it... Let`s just say My laptop is connected to my TV via HDMI, and I`m playing FIFA with my friends... We like to listen to music while we play so I use that Service to do so... and now I can`t... I hope that we can find a solution to this and finally end this topic...

b590
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,715
Message 7 of 7

Hmm, that's interesting. In my ControlPanel/Devices&Printers I have 2 (two) icons for my Windows Phone! Smiley Happy

The left one is connected to my laptop via USB, and the right one is connected via bluetooth... but and when I click "services" it shows only two... I sure would expect to see more available services between a Windows Phone 8.1 and a Windows 8.1 laptop connected via bluetooth... weird that..

w81_cont_panel_devices.pngw81_nokia_lumia630.pngw81_services.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors