Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamburglar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 663
Message 1 of 8

Wireless doesn't work when waking from sleep on G780

When I first boot up the laptop, the internet works fine. When I close the computer and then open it up later to wake it from sleep mode, the internet doesn't work. The only solution I've found is to reboot the machine. I can ping websites fine using the command prompt, but when I try loading a webpage on Google Chrome or Internet Explorer, nothing loads. On the command prompt, "ipconfig /release" works fine but when I try "ipconfig /renew" the command prompt hangs.

The Network card is a Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter with Hardware ID of PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4727 running on Windows 8 64-bit. I have tried the driver from the Lenovo G780 driver page, the one from Windows Update, and the latest version from an HP laptop that uses the same card and still have the same problem.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 649
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wireless doesn't work when waking from sleep on G780

hi hamburglar,

Can you try to:

1. Set the power settings to high performance (this will use max. performance on the wifi card and disable link state power management on the PCI Express)

2.  On the Device Manager, navigate to the Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter > right click and choose properties > on the Power Management Tab, uncheck "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power".

3. If same problem, try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking and observe (if everything works, temporarily turn off your antivirus / security software and boot in normal mode).

Let me know your findings,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

hamburglar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 627
Message 3 of 8

I tried the first two solutions and I still have the same problem. I tried about 15 times to get into the menu to allow me to boot into safe mode but no matter when I hit F8, it boots up regularly. This computer has become completely unusable as a laptop when I have to reboot every time I want to use the internet combined with the touchpad freezing every 10 minutes.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 616
Message 4 of 8

hi hamburglar,

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode w/ Networking via the Advanced Options inside Windows? (see this article). If everything works there, perform a clean boot and observe it in normal mode.

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

hamburglar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 608
Message 5 of 8

It seems to function properly when I do a clean boot into normal mode. What should I do now to diagnose what might be causing the problem?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 594
Message 6 of 8

hi hamburglar,

There's most likely an application that's interferring with the internet connection.when the computer wakes up from sleep.

To isolate:

1. Open msconfig and under Services Tab, check all boxes with a 'lenovo" on the manufacturer field

2. Open Task Manager and enable all apps with 'lenovo" on the publisher field (see this pdf data sheet to see the list of preloaded applications in the G780)

3. Uninstall the McAfee® Internet Security (30-Day Trial). If you have installed your own antiviurs / security software, temporarily disable it and observe the system.

You can also post a screenshot of your msconfig (services tab) and Task Manager if you need assistance identifying the items.

regards,

neokenchi

hamburglar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 542
Message 7 of 8

I have tried to figure out which service or program is causing the problem but I can't find out which one it is. I have only enabled services that seem to be necessary but I still have the problem. Here is what I have enabled:

Image 014.png

Image 015.png

Image 016.png

Image 017.png

Image 018.png

Image 019.png

Image 020.png

Image 021.png

Image 022.png

Image 023.png

Image 024.png

Image 025.png

Image 026.png

Image 027.png

Image 028.png

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 520
Message 8 of 8

hi hamburglar,

Can you try to temporarily uninstall these programs one by one and observe:

1. Avast Antivirus

2. Ad-aware

3. Spybot

Also, the screenshot on the services seems to be lacking a few more items (see last screenshot). Can you check the "hide all microsoft service" box and post the remaining items on the services and on the startup list.

Regards,

neokenchi

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors