cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovo-user-kw
Paper Tape
Views: 1,656
Message 1 of 4

differences between OneKey recovery and win8's "create a recovery drive"? (G500, win8.1)

What are the differences between these two methods? Does win8's native method back up only window's system files? and OneKey recovery method back up entire C disk?

Per help doc from win8's "create a recovery drive", it looks like by default Win8 preinstalls a hidden partition on HDD with preinstalled recovery image, and when user creates recovery drive, Win8 will copy the preinstalled recovery image to target backup storage. Is my understanding correct?

I tried win8's "create a recovery drive", it said it needs at least 16G space on target USB drive. I tried OneKey recovery, it said it needs 90G space. Does this mean OneKey recovery would backup all files under my C drive?

If I just use win8's method, would I have problem if I have to restore the system on a new HDD if the old HDD was dead?

Thanks,

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,622
Message 2 of 4

Re: differences between OneKey recovery and win8's "create a recovery drive"? (G500, win8.

hi lenovo-user-kw,

Regarding your questions:

1. The difference between OneKey Recovery and "Create a recovery drive" are as follows:

OneKey Recovery (OKR)

- can be triggered by clicking the OneKey Recovery inside the OS or by pressing the OKR Button.

- running the recovery triggers the hidden factory default image preloaded in the drive

- using OKR's System Backup method backsup the system partition only (eg. Drive C:\). If you have many files on the drive, you will need an external drive to save the backup.

Recovery Drive

- needs to be created within the OS. Can only be triggered by booting from the USB drive.

- on an OEM PC, this requires at least 16GB as it copes the hidden factory default image from the HDD for a full factory restore. Otherwise, 4GB will be enough to create a system repair disc.

More info:

Introduction to Lenovo OneKey Recovery 8.0

How to Create a Recovery USB Flash Drive in Windows 8 and 8.1

2. There are reports that you can't use the recovery drive with a blank HDD (like in this thread) but ideally, the recovery drive can be used to restore on a blank HDD as discussed in this article.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

lenovo-user-kw
Paper Tape
Views: 1,601
Message 3 of 4

Re: differences between OneKey recovery and win8's "create a recovery drive"? (G500, win8.

Thanks neokenchi

yohy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,519
Message 4 of 4

Adding to the excellent reply by neokenchi as I was struggling with this question, too:

In Windows 8's recovery, you will need to create a "System Image Backup" in addition to the recovery drive! or else you will have a very unpleasant surprise if your system breaks and you need to restore it.

Another "Gotcha" with Windows 8's recovery is that it creates (formats!) a FAT32 bootable recovery drive, but will refuse to create a System Image Backup on any USB HDD that isn't NTFS.

You need to create a System Backup with OKR, too, but at least it is presented clearly, side-by-side, when you invoke the OKR tool. Unlike Windows 8's recovery that has the system image creation function hiding somewhere else (File History in the Control Panel).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors