I have a problem with eSata on my Lenovo G560 model 0679 running Windows 7 Home Prem. 64 DK (danish language). When connecting and transferring data via an eSata external harddrive (Samsung Story Station Plus HX-DE015EB eSata/usb2), my computer stalls after about 5-10 seconds into the transfer. Nothing further happens. The transfer just stops and stalls the computer.
This only happens when I use the eSata option on the external drive. When using USB2 the transfer is okay at approx. 25 Mb/sec.
Now one would think something is wrong with the eSata hardware-connection on the motherboard or the eSata connector itself. To check this theory I installed Windows XP on the computer, and eSata turns out to work perfect with approx. 70 Mb/sec. throuput. USB2 was around the usual 25 Mb/sec. I also tried Ubuntu operating system, and eSata was as fast as on Windows XP.
So I believe it's a software/driver problem with Windows 7.
Additional info: I do not boot from the external drive. It's only for storage. The external drive is 6 months old and worked flawlessly untill I tried with Windows 7. I have tried to format the drive with both NTFS and FAT32. Also with Samsungs own formating tool. No difference. And there is no difference whether I use up all 3 USB-connections on the computer or only use one for eSata. I have the latest BIOS (29CN31WW v2.08), chipset driver (18.104.22.1680), Intel Matrix Storage driver (22.214.171.1244), Intel Management Engine Interface driver (126.96.36.1999). All for 64-bit OS. All Windows 7 updates. I have disabled Windows firewall.
Computer hardware info: Lenovo G560 - 0679 Intel Core i5-430 2,26 GHz Arrandale socket 1156 LGA 4 Gb ram (DDR3 SD PC3-8500 1066 MHz SODIMM 204-pin) 500 Gb harddrive SATA-300 5400 rpm (WDC WD5000BEVT-24A0RT0) 15,6" TFT widescreen 1366x768 HD LED GeForece 310M 512Mb HDMI eSata 3 x USB2 ExpressCard 34mm Bluetooth Broadcom BCM 2070 BT 2.1 + EDR Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11g DVD-RW Optiarc AD-7585H Battery: 6 cell 48 Wh, 4400 mAh, 11,1 V Windows 7 Home Prem. 64 bit DK
This may be caused by a conflict with Intel Matrix Storage driver. Uninstalling the Rapid Matrix storage manager may provide a work around. As overall compatibility can change based on mix of drivers, look for later versions of this driver for a long term solution if the Rapid Matrix Storage Manager use is desired.
For more information on the matrix storage driver - see Intel's website