Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ro51
What's DOS?
Views: 1,884
Message 1 of 9

external hard disk not shown in this pc

Hi,

When I attach my external harddrive I can't see it in 'This PC'.

When I look in 'Device Manager' it shows up as 'EXT HDD 1021' The drivers for this device are not installed.

I use the drive to backup my computer.

The backup using the external hard drive worked in December 2014.

I have tried the external hard drive on my old laptop and it works no problems.

How can I get the drivers back?

I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,841
Message 2 of 9

Re: external hard disk not shown in this pc

hi ro51,

Welcome to the Forums.

If you insert another USB storage device (e.g., Flashdrive) on the same port, are you able to see it in "This PC"  under Windows Explorer? 

If other storage devices are not automatically detected, can you try the following:

- Open Device Manager > Other Devices

Right click on the 'EXT HDD 1021 > choose Update Driver Software > 'Browse for driver software on your computer

- Select Browse and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and ensure that Include subfolders is checked.

When finished, hit Next and observe if the USB storage driver gets installed and see if you can now see the USB external HDD.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

ro51
What's DOS?
Views: 1,838
Message 3 of 9

Hi,

Thanks for your interest

I don't have another USB storage device.

I have tried tablets and cameras in the USB slots and all are idenitified by the computer.

I tried your second piece of advice and got 'the system cannot find the file specified'.

I have looked at the problem more closely and amongst the Events logged against the drive is the description 'device deleted' This seems to have occured at the same time that multiple Windows updates were being performed.

It would seem that the driver has been deleted.

If anybody has any ideas on how to restore the driver please let me know.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,834
Message 4 of 9

AFAIK, USB storage drivers are stored in the C:\Windows\INF folder.

- Link to picture

If the Usbstor.inf file is not present in your system, can you manually check in the

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository folder and check if you can copy the .inf files

- Link to picture

In addition, are you using a Western Digital passport drive? If yes, try the SES driver on the link below (it would also help if you can provide the specific model of the external drive).

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=218

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

ro51
What's DOS?
Views: 1,827
Message 5 of 9

Hi

re Q.

AFAIK, USB storage drivers are stored in the C:\Windows\INF folder.

A. No such file exists in this folder

Q.If the Usbstor.inf file is not present in your system, can you manually check in the

A. C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository folder and check if you can copy the .inf files

I don't have the 2 files you highlighted

I do have

usbstor.inf_amd64_9332c02bddfefd32

The drive is WD Elements 2TB Model No wdbaau002hbk-01

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,820
Message 6 of 9

hi there,

If you look under the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\\usbstor.inf_amd64_9332c02bddfefd32 , do you see the files listed below?

USBstor files.jpg

If you see the above files, can you try and copy usbstor.ini and usbstor.pnp and paste it to the C:\Windows\INF folder or follow this guide then reboot and observe.

If same problem, try to run this Microsoft Fix - Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

If the problem is still there then you may want to consider doing a System Restore (back to the date when the system is detecting the external drive) or System Recovery to restore the unit from facoty settings (ensure you backup important files as this process will wipe all data on the OS partition).

Regards

ro51
What's DOS?
Views: 1,814
Message 7 of 9

I will not be around for the next 2 weeks so I will not be able to follow up  on your suggestions immediately. I did talk to Lenovo technical support today who suggested that I will need to do a factory reset.

I'll consider my options over the next couple of weeks and decide what to do.

Many thanks for your help

pepperpourri
What's DOS?
Views: 451
Message 8 of 9

Hi, 

I have the same issue. I plug in my external HDD and it is not detected on both USB ports. I'm using a ThinkPad X240, running Windows 7.

I followed your instructions and opened Device Manager, but do not see "Other Devices". 

Please help? Thank you.

SeniorGuru
Views: 420
Message 9 of 9

What OS are you using, and do you have all the latest updates installed?

In folder view options there are ways to show "empty drives" by default. Also - if your computer is using Windows 7 or earlier it may not recognize the file system used by the external device.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale