Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thelarky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 326
Message 1 of 6

failing to install windows updates

I recent completed a facory reset of my G580 and managed to install a few updates; but after that it says theres 101 updates and it will download them but after the restart it says fails to install, reverting changes.

I've tried running the windows troubleshooter which does find faults and fixes them but it makes no difference.

Thanks in advance.

thematrix01
Serial Port
Views: 312
Message 2 of 6

Re: failing to install windows updates

I was having the same issue for the past one week. Make sure you are logged in to a microsoft account(not a local account) and then apply the fix , the windows update diagnostics , and then download and install updates. Some of the updates require administrator permission(microsoft account).

Download the windows update diagnostics tool from here : Windows Diagnostics Tool

thelarky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 283
Message 3 of 6

I signed into my Microsoft account and ran the troubleshooter again, started downloading them again, it downloaded them all (roughly 1 GB) and then supposedly installed them all, but when i restarted my laptop as requested it failed to install again and showed "reverting changes" again.

So a bit more than last time but still none of them installed:/
thematrix01
Serial Port
Views: 279
Message 4 of 6

can you list here what are the updates that failed? In my case all security updates and .NET framework updates kept failing. I asked around and they told me that after I have installed the updated I should check the updates history and if I find some of them failed , I should run the troubleshooter again . I ran the troubleshooter again , and it worked . It literally took me 2-3 weeks to finally update. There is sometheing really wrong with windows updates and the only way to fix this problem is the solution I told you in last reply. 

This was the question I asked on microsoft community : windows updates.

If you still can't find the right solution , then you can ask your queries there also. 

thelarky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 257
Message 5 of 6

Sorry for the late reply busy couple of weeks a Uni.
I've managed to get down to 56 updates after multiple restarts, installs etc.

I was told by a friend, who knows a lot about computers to check which update failed first and then try installing that one on its own, however when I go to try and find it it says it has already installed:/

My feeling is that so many of the updates rely on the other updates being installed its going to take many attempts to get them all done
thematrix01
Serial Port
Views: 249
Message 6 of 6

there are some hidden updates too , especially Visual C++ updates that won't show in Update Diagnostics tool. You have to download Belarc Security Advisor , and it shows all the hidden updates , so you can install the all the updates that are failing and that are hidden. My problem was solved this way.

Note: If you have java installed , uninstall it , all third party softwares that require updates won't show in Windows updates , and it is very difficult to update them. In my case Java and Visuall C++ were the culprit. I uninstalled Java and then updated Visual C++.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors