Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prasanna19
What's DOS?
Views: 1,963
Message 1 of 7

g550 hinge issue

dear reader,

i purchased lenovo G550 laptop. Now the warranty period is completed. The left hinge has got broken (i think its a serious design problem) and i am seeking for the replacement of the whole base plate.

Is there the spare part of the base plate available in the market so that i can get it solved. And please do mention the cost in indian rupees..............

is there an alternative that lenovo will provide free service for that common problem existing throughout the world.

warm regards,

g prasanna

message & subject edited 

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,937
Message 2 of 7

Re: a serious design problem (left hinge break)

hinges can be replaced and found at ebay but it'll be problem to replace it by yourself.

i suggest you to contact lenovo support line and ask for replacement price.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
koyophoto
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,889
Message 3 of 7

Lenovo G550

The hinge on the bottom right of the laptop screen seems to be loose. It can still seat in the slot, but it comes out now and then (which then requires you to push it back down into the holding slot). It seems that the knob that holds the hinge in place may have broken or been worn down.

Thanks for any help!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,809
Message 4 of 7

Re: Lenovo G550

as i remember, hinge issues are not covered by warranty but the conditions may change by country. to make sure, i suggest yuo to contact lenovo support line.

by the way, do you still have valid warranty?

koyophoto
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,799
Message 5 of 7

Lenovo G550 hinge problem

The hinge on the bottom right of the laptop screen seems to be loose. It can still seat in the slot, but it comes out now and then (which then requires you to push it back down into the holding slot). It seems that the piece of the hinge that holds the hinge in place may have broken or been worn down.

The laptop is out of warranty, so I know having Lenovo repair it will be expensive.

Are there replacement hinges available? And if so, how hard is it to replace the hinge?

Thanks for any help!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,792
Message 6 of 7

Re: Lenovo G550 hinge problem

you can buy the parts from the link below but due to there's no hardware maintenance manual for g550, i'll just point you y530's page that may help you.

http://www.lenovospareparts.com/31038408--LCD-Hinge-Pack-Right-side-and-Left-side_p_221.html

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/How-to-replace-the-hinges-for-Y510-Y530/ta...

hope this helps.

ngat73
Paper Tape
Views: 1,114
Message 7 of 7

Re: g550 hinge issue

The issues are all over the internet, my left broke too and I tried to tape it and it worked for awhile and taking the tape off and tightening it caused some of the other plastic parts to come with it then the right side went.  There are so many complaints on the net about it and I was actually trying to just buy a used computer from Ebay that didn't work and transfer everything over.  I haven't used that laptop for over six months bc theres no point in deal with the frustration,  THe design is terrible and they should recall that product..  Mine is the G560 and I am so upset.   I did put in a request and have heard that many people were told that it was a wear and tear issue.  I have had laptops for 22 years and never had problems with hinges.   I use to spend thousands on Dell which I refuse to with their battery problems but they recall them.  And shipping it back and forth just to be told that its a wear-and-tear issue is not something I plan to do.  I might just forget it and find someone that can enforce.  So, disappointing since IBM is the leader in computers and first for many things in that technology.  Maybe Lenova is just a cheaper version.  How are you suppose to use your computer comfortably when the hinges don't hold the monitor?  its ridiculous.  I've looked at different parts to see what needs to be taken apart and have it resecured.  But, it seems like it would be a daunting task.  I'm using a Toshiba right now and it doesn't appear to be causing me any problems.   Anyhow, wish all of us luck, otherwise this computer is never going to be used and in my closet.  What a waste.  I wouldn't purchase a Lenova again unless the customer service was willing to fix it.  Its a well known issue bc its all over UTube on how to fix it in unorthodox ways and people complaining about the hinges!!!  Come on,  Do they even read our comments in trying to reach out to them.  I couldn't even explain the problem adequately but perhaps my inquiry will get me a call and I am sure I will be transferred elsewhere and use up more time then I would like but just to salvage that laptop I might just have a handy friend redo what he needs to and fix it for me.

Nga T. Truong

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors