Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmf1964
Punch Card
Views: 261
Message 1 of 4

g700 cpu upgrade

I would like to upgrade my g700 to an i7 3520m, the board is an hm76 it should be able to handle the chip. My question is are the cpu's whitelisted, am i restricted to buy only the part number whats in the hmm or will any i7 3520m work ?

Guru
Views: 252
Message 2 of 4

Re: g700 cpu upgrade

I'd recommend getting the part number from the HMM just to be safe since other users have reported a CPU whitelist if you were to go with something out of Lenovo's HMM parts. 

Besides that, upgrading a CPU won't do that much to increase performance, certainly not by $100 or however much the CPU costs.  I would recommend upgrading the HDD to an SSD and adding more RAM before you touch the CPU as those upgrades will be more worth it and will lead to a substantial difference in performance. 

Hope that helps. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

jmf1964
Punch Card
Views: 222
Message 3 of 4

Thanks, the ram is already maxed out at 16gb and an ssd is more money than I want to spend on what is my secondary laptop.
I thought the i7 may have higher graphics, but it doesn't it's the same as the i5
Guru
Views: 217
Message 4 of 4

Yea, both have the same integrated graphics. 

The only thing that might make a difference is the higher clock speed on the i7, but even that difference isn't that significant. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors