Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
platosearwax
Fanfold Paper
Views: 808
Message 1 of 4

keyboard retainer clip G580

I was working on trying to repair the audio jack on my G580 (a totally separate issue). I removed the keyboard and in the process broke the tiny plastic retainer clip that holds the keyboard ribbon in place. I can't reseat the ribbon now. Anyone know if there is any way to order that little plastic piece? Or if I order a new keyboard will it come with that piece? Kind of annoying to have a laptop with an external keyboard as I am using now to write this.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 764
Message 2 of 4

Re: keyboard retainer clip G580

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.  The retaining clip is part of the socket on the motherboard that the keyboard ribbon plugs into.  Since it is part of the motherboard, buying a new replacement clip isn't an option.  I would suggest searching your local computer repair centers to see if someone has a dead motherboard with a matching socket.  You should be able to remove the retainer clip using a little care and then transfer it to your board.  The alternative is to check out eBay.  At times sellers will offer dead motherboards for sale and you may get lucky and find a motherboard for your model that you can obtain the clip from.  I broke a similar clip a few years ago, but it my situation the break wasn't bad and I was able to Super Glue it back together. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

platosearwax
Fanfold Paper
Views: 722
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply!

Turns out I solved it. What happened was I broke the little tabs on each end of the clip that help to hold it in place. But reseating the clip with the keyboard ribbon is tight enough that it stays in place regardless of the clips. It might work its way loose over time but I can just reseat it again if it does.

Thought I should at least update this thread in case of searches and such.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 718
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for posting back with an update.  I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem. 

To insure the clip stays in place you can always put a piece of tape on it and the socket. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors