Did you mean: 
saktani
Paper Tape
Views: 2,881
Message 1 of 6

lenovo g50-70 suddenly shuts off

hello

I have a problem with my lenovo g50-70

when ever I start to play a game after some minutes 5-10 minutes and sometimes even less my laptop automatically shut down 

I dont think its an overheating problem because the laptop doesnt get hot 

the CPU temps get to about 60 at max

I really need help

thank you very much for your support much appriciated

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,847
Message 2 of 6

Re: lenovo g50-70 suddenly shuts off

hi saktani

Welcome to the Forums.

Chances are, if the shutting down problem happens on any game that you run or any graphics intensive task that you launch like watching youtube videos and/or it also happens while plugged-in / running on battery then there's likely a problem with a hardware component of the machine (e.g., the GPU).

Things that you can try:

1. Run a full diagnostic test on the machine using the Lenovo Solutions Center (see Checkup > Hardware Scan) or by using the Individual Windows Diagnostics then observe the results on the RAM, HDD, CPU, and GPU tests.

2. Download and install GPU-Z and observe the GPU temps (applicable only if you have the AMD Radeon R5 M230 Graphics)

If the machine shuts down while running the test then I recommend you consider contacting the lenovo helpdesk to report the problem.

Support phone list

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

saktani
Paper Tape
Views: 2,839
Message 3 of 6

here is a log during a stress test 

and the laptop shut off during the test

GPU stress test

thank you very much

saktani
Paper Tape
Views: 2,827
Message 4 of 6

Ok, here is a quick update

I disabled the AMD RADEON R5 M230 and I played the game with onboard graphics and nothing happened the laptop stayed on 

here is the log during the game play 

INTEL integrated graphics log

And another log during the stress test

INTEL graphics rendering test

The values of the fan speed of the AMD card in the previous post were stable at 35% fan speed despite the rising temperature that reached 84C

Does this mean that the fan of the AMD card is dusty and I need to clean it?

if the answer is YES how do I do that

Thank you very much for your great support much appriciated

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,803
Message 5 of 6

hi there,

The thing about laptops is that they mostly have one fan (some gaming units have two). For the G50-70, it has only one fan to cool-up the heat that's dissipated from the CPU and GPU.

If that 35% fan speed reading is accurate even when the AMD Radeon R5 M230 GPU reaches its peak usage and heats up, do you notice any air flow difference in the vents? (you should feel more hot air blowing outside).

I personally have used a laptop (non-lenovo) that heats up to 100°C (CPU) and 99°C (GPU) and never shuts down so you can speculate that one of the following is true:

1. The GPU chip is faulty

2. The fan speed is not properly configured to match the juction temperature of the GPU

3. The heatsink is not properly dissipating the heat coming out from the GPU (bad heatsink / thermal compound).

I recommend you contact the lenovo helpdesk to sort this out or you can DIY and clean the fan & reapply a good quality thermal compound (you will need to open up the machine to do this but take note that depending on the place where you purchased the unit, some stores put a warranty sticker on the screw slots so any signs of tear will automatically void the warranty).

G50-70 Video Disassembly Guide

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

saktani
Paper Tape
Views: 2,778
Message 6 of 6

I bought the laptop in Italy and I think I'am going to send it back for repair or something because it's still under warrenty I have 40 days left
I hope they can fix it and with no additional costs hopefully because I spent 500 euros on it
One thing that I really regret is bying a laptop with AMD hardware on it I have always been told that NVIDIA is much better in many cases

Really appriciate your great support

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors